Please return the Light Boxes to their former glory

I don’t really know where to put this thread, it doesn’t really belong in bug fixes as this has existed for years and hasn’t been fixed, as I assume it was an intentional choice, however, I call for the return of the Light Boxes to their former glory.

The Light Boxes are a set of lights with various shapes, consisting of the Circle, the Hexagon, the Octagon, two variations of Triangles, and most importantly, the Square.
These were, years ago, my favourite light sources in the game, their simple shapes being perfect for constructing interesting shapes, and as far as i can tell, the only choice for making pixel art in Tower, which has been a tradition in every sandbox game.

However, that was the past. Nowadays, light boxes are a shell of what they once were. For some reason, at some point in their existence, their capability to display colour has been neutered.
Can you tell the difference? The boxes on the left and in the middle are the old Light Boxes, displaying a gorgeous and vibrant cyan, my favourite colour, if you couldn’t tell. The one on the right, however, has its vibrancy significantly reduced. The exact same colour is selected on both boxes. In fact, the box on the right is duplicated from the box on the left. They should be the exact same box, displaying the same colour, however, fate had other plans.

This shade of blue is rather light, however, and the difference in vibrancy is a little subtle, especially when compared to this next example.
It’s not even close, the left box is duplicated exactly from the box on the right, and despite this, the colour appears as a dull pinkish-grey, rather than the bright, vibrant purple. And once again, the colour parameters are the exact same.
The reason I think this is a deliberate choice, and it could be a bug for all I know, is the fact that the old Light Boxes stay the same, even through all the updates. It’s only the new ones that are affected, and if it were a display bug, surely it’d affect the old ones too?
I wish I could continue building with these guys, but sadly this issue has persisted for a long time, and I plead with the dev team to fix this injustice.

3 Likes

Actually this is a bug, a very old bug oddly enough.
And the same bug exists for other light fixtures.

I could be wrong but I recall experiencing this inconsistency on several occassions.
Technically the ‘wrong’ colour is the correct one and always has been.
This is because it’s the one that comes loaded when you originally place it.

However, upon reloading the condo there seems to be a chance for it to lose the ‘glow’ that causes it to desaturate, and it becomes what you call the ‘correct’ colour.

This appears to be either a texture or glow bug, than an intentional change.
I do however prefer the saturated colours over the actual colours it intentionally has.

2 Likes