Not a big fan of automatic group duping. (And 2 suggestions for grouping in general.)

Suggestion I: Remove the automatic group dupe.
With the new grouping system, if you select multiple objects, then dupe them all, it automatically puts all the items of the dupe into a group. This, in my opinion, is annoying, because I like precision in my builds, and grouping objects doesn’t allow you to insert coords, scale, and rotation manually. I would suggest removing this, maybe making it a toggle in the settings.

I also want to add another suggestion with this: An idea for the grouping system.

Suggestion II: Improved Anchor Point system.
As I mentioned previously, grouping objects doesn’t allow manual number inputs, which is annoying for perfectionists like me who need everything to be as close as possible. I assume there’s some limitation that needs to be overcome to do this, so I’m just gonna do my best to improve the already existing system. From what I understand, when you select multiple objects, it takes the mean (average) of all the coords of each item selected, and uses that as an “Anchor Point”. This is not a good system, and here’s why:

Take this little build I made as an example:

If you notice, there’s a lot of items on the front up there. This creates a bias where the Anchor Point is gonna be closer to that tip than the actual base of the sculpture.

Now I am glad that this is partly fixed. When dragging items normally outside of the gizmo, one can snap things with this just fine, like so:

But when using the gizmo, the problem is still apparent:

My suggestion is to, by default, set the anchor point as either: the first item selected in the group, so if I were to select the base of the sculpture first, (the bottom canvas cube, in this instance,) it would always set the anchor point there, and would basically look like this:

(but with all the items selected, of course.)

Alternatively, you could use a similar system to the standard drag, where the anchor point is just the object in the group you clicked on.

Suggestion III: Add manual gizmo inputs to groups.
And finally, as I said, being able to manually input numbers into the gizmo, using that first selected object as the anchor point from which movement and rotation would be relatively altered, would be the ideal way of doing this system, in my opinion.

Doing this would greatly improve the system, and increase it’s practicality, at least for the style of building for which I do.

The automatic grouping is probably a bug but yea I agree it’s annoying. In the Dark Voyage update they made it so that if you drag-copy a group, the original group stays grouped, but it seems like just any multi-selection gets grouped automatically instead.

This is a bug. It’s meant to only group items that were already in a group.

Manual gizmo inputs to groups is being worked on.

We’ll continue to improve the pivot points.