Nightmare House 2 : How I bashed an Easter Egg.(story)

May feature Nightmare House 2 spoilers, you have been warned.

If you are like me, you are a fan of horror, meaning no doubt you have revisited a remade classic named Nightmare House 2.

Today I have spent a good hour returning to Never Lose Hope Hospital to find out sadly most of my favorite easter-eggs were removed.
After finishing up with the last chapter that had a pretty interesting addition of narration to it, I wanted to see Doctor Romero ride a zombie to the “Look at my horse” song.

However that secret was replaced by another bit of secrecy which caught my attention.

Instead of the map containing the parody cutscene, I have only found a BSP file labeled with a datestamp, upon opening the map I’ve heard a flickering noise and the map shut down, this is when I said to myself “Challenge Accepted” and began cracking open at the egg.

At first I have disabled the Disconnect command using the Alias feature, I was left with nothing but an empty box…
Then I decided to look into the BSP file’s raw code to see if there is not a voided text message somewhere… There was none.
Gritting my teeth I took up to the next level and began decompiling the map only to find out all I was given to work with was an empty box.
A few good minutes later after scratching my head, I found out that I can use the console to initiate wireframe and noclip commands by disabling not_dave in the raw BSP.

I loaded the map up, flew out of the box with wireframes and my breath slowed down, I caught a glimpse of the full map and my eyes became filled with joy as I was proud of my achievements, of defeating the master of the game in his own game.

After such a long ammount of time, I was able to play a portion of the game not intended for the eyes of the public, and the contents of the map (not mentioning them here) have really stunned me.

PLOT TWIST KIDS

This is when I became really dissapointed.
I wanted to leak out a bit of a tease with a picture of the map and an overlapping text saying “Dave says hello.” (Refference to the map itself)

What I found was a wall of comments not only about how to access the map without such a long process by simply knocking over a few props, but a whole thread about it already being discovered.

MORAL OF THE STORY …

Read before you speak.

2 Likes