More work on APUs

Of course VRam isn’t all you look for. Clock speed, Ram type, as well as size are some other main things to look for. 4gb of DDR3 =/= 4gb of DDR5

8GB DDR4 256-Bit or 4GB DDR5 384-bit?

Believe it or not, the 4GB is potentially more powerful.

Might the GPU type compensate for the 2GB VRAM though? As in, a 2GB 750 Ti being better than a 2GB Radeon HD 6800 Series.

wait uh, isn’t that obvious

Unreal eats VRAM up like a champ. It needs VRAM badly, but it’s not the only thing it needs.

If you lack VRAM, though, Unreal will just downscale all the textures.

Yeah, exactly. Not all hardware is created equally. Take a look at Intel CPUs vs AMD CPUs. a 3.4 GHz Intel is WAYY better than a 3.4 GHz AMD. The individual cores in an Intel are more powerful than the individual cores in an AMD. And without hyperthreading, AMD is automatically behind.

There are several equations that are taken into effect that calculate things such as pixel fillrate, texture fillrate, shaders, bandwidth, and etc:

There are several variables that could make each individual GPU good or bad. Eg: Your Bus-Width is basically the channel that your data travels through. A larger bus-width gives you more power, in a multiplicative way. Another main factor is the DDR type. DDR3 is about half as good as DDR4, and DDR4 is about half as good as DDR5. That’s why 4GB of DDR4 tends to lose to 2GB of DDR5.

These aren’t exact 100% numbers as no two cards are exactly the same. Even cards of the same type will vary somewhat in terms of performance. But there are several values you can look out for like the CUDA cores, bus-width, VRAM, and memory type; and if you pay attention to those you can certainly know a lemon when you see one.

Also another thing to note from personal experience: ATI tends to have better shading technology. But NVidia tends to win everywhere else. Sorry ATI.

For some reason Tower Unite never uses more than 2gb in condos (I have a 970). Textures scale down quite a lot in cluttered condos:

Pay attention to the Mem Counter while the game loads the condo this time. Also look at the last 30 seconds where you can see the textures rapidly switching from low to high.

Most game engines aren’t made to deal with rapid downloading, loading and unloading that buildings entirely made out of canvases do.

Keep in mind however, the 970 uses a more efficient design than older GPU’s (with the exception of the slow down when using more than 3.5GB of VRAM). While your GPU might not go above 2GB sustained, other less efficient cards may. Plus there can also be background processes like Chrome and Firefox that slow down your computer further.

Also, just because it keeps less than 2GB in memory, doesn’t mean it’s not using the other 2GB at all. It is still processing all kinds of different things that you don’t even see. The flickering between low and high res textures could be the result of that last 500mb in the 3.5GB. Also as william341 said, loading that many images can be pretty time consuming and inefficient.

1 Like

The weird is hover that the other canvases are loaded into vram but only until 2gbs of vram are used. Also Pay attention to the last 30 seconds where I point out the texture switching which is probably an indication of not enough vram.

The reason of this is because it needs to render things that aren’t canvases, such as lighting, the building, terrain and other objects.

But I get 70fps?

what does it have to do with rendering things?

This guy almost seems like he is trolling. Top kek.
Nobody is dumb enough to actually think an integrated card is better than an okay-ish independant card…

Anyway, integrated card or a 670, it isn’t good enough. Get a better card. Doesn’t matter whether it’s ark or tower unite. Ark has been optimized well but the game is just more demanding than tower unite at the moment. No matter whether they use the same engine or not.

Its like saying a completely openworld game should run as fast as pinball as long as its on the same engine.

I was NOT comparing the cards. I was comparing speeds of games on the same engine on the menu.

Fine, misunderstood because I read “Wait are you seriously trying to compare integrated graphics to an independant GPU?” But it still doesn’t make much sense.