Material tiling independent of World Align

the sweeping inclusions of materials to world align was fantastic and well-needed. however, if anything it also made it glarlingly obvious that there’s no other feasible way to tile the materials on most canvases

pictured above on the left is a canvas cube with a wood plank texture on it (Wood Cherry, to be specific). if i wanted to rotate this block of wood 90 degrees, i have two options, either:

turn world align on, and rotate it (pictured in the center). this keeps the exact same orientation of the planks, which on a block of its length looks just wrong

or turn it off before rotating it (pictured on the right). this preserves the intended orientation, but since it’s a longer block, the texture gets stretched out instead, which is ugly in its own right

i think a middle ground where the material simply tiles in accordance with the part’s orientation would go miles in terms of what can be done with these materials

i completely agree with this; i remember trying to make a little deck for a dock once and, since it was at an angle, it was extremely difficult to get looking good since the planks would either be at at an angle or the planks would be super stretched…

1 Like

This would be great. My ask for this would be a “rotate texture” option so it could be used with everything when it doesn’t make sense to rotate the item.