Making Gameworld Maps

Will you be able to make your own gameworld maps. For example, if someone really wanted to play some level from GMTower that isn’t in Tower Unite, will they be able to make their own maps? Also, if yes will you add this with all the gamemodes? (eg, Minigolf, Ball Race, Planet Panic, Virus.) I think that would be awesome for you to do that. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You could always take the gmod map file if you have subscribed to the workshop when they were still available and then just convert said file to one TU accepts.

The devs have confirmed that Steam Workshop support is in the works, and there will be tools to create custom maps with for the Lobby, Gameworlds and the Condo.

1 Like

Then you dear sir, dont have the foggiest idea of how file conversion works.

Bad joke aside, all it takes is to find out what file format the game uses and then find a way to convert said map file into the correct format.
At this time it seems as if tower unite uses something called UMAP, if that is the format used then you need to use say a map editor that can save the map from gmod in said format.

And then there is the problem with missing textures but who cares about that.

TL;DR - Entire Source maps can’t be converted into UE4 maps just like that, but floors, walls and ceilings etc. can be converted into UE4-openable models.

While I am pretty sure Source’s .BSPs cannot be easily converted to UE4’s .UMAPs/.UASSETs, I do know from personal experience that Source’s official map editor Hammer can export BSP brushes in it’s .VMFs into .DXFs that can be opened with modelling programs like 3DS Max, Maya and Blender which can be compiled into .FBXs or .OBJs etc. which can be imported into UE4. Stuff like models and entities have to be converted for/ported to/remade in UE4 seperately.

Even shorter TL;DR
It is possible.

This tool can help you port the map models to UE4.

Other than that, a lot of other details will need to be worked out in the UE4 editor itself. Such as applying textures, adding music and SFX, and placing the various required actors in the level and updating the exit and map logic. I’m sure there’s even more work to prepare a Ballrace map, so we’ll need to wait and see.