Licensing - how does this apply to my service?

Hi

It says the use of the API is under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. I’m building a realtime multiplayer internet quiz game, and one source of questions I am hoping to be opentdb. However I’m not sure how I can apply the ShareAlike license to my project because it’s a service i’ll be hosting rather than a specific body of code/software that would actually be downloaded.

I realize I probably haven’t described this very well at all but I’m completely new to the whole license thing in the first place so sorry in advance. :slight_smile:

Could anyone advise on this? Thanks.

We are currently in the process of drafting up a new terms of service that will cover this.

You are required to attribute Open Trivia Database and required to license your service under the same license.

4 Likes

Thank you for your reply. I understand the first part, I will definitely attribute :slight_smile:

I’m just not sure what it means to release my service under the license. Does it mean I have to release all the source code for my game client and game server online, and allow anyone to use it? Or does it just mean I should create documentation to show others how to make their own clients to connect to my game service?

Thank you

Any update on a new ToS? I plan on using questions/answers obtained by the API and the OpenTDB logo for attribution purposes for a Discord bot. I am uncomfortable with releasing my own art assets under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license, which the verbiage seems to imply is required.

I am willing to give attribution and release source code under the same license (technically GPL 3, which is listed by CC as a compatible license)