Ive had an idea for a pc that i might see about working on in december

CPU: Intel - Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Silverstone - NT07-115X 48.0 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock - H110M-ITX Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GT 1030 2GB Low Profile Video Card

So the idea would be to replace my decade old pc with a sleeper build.

I could fit all those parts theoretically inside of the case of a dead Super Nintendo console

2 Likes

it would be about 2x my current pc’s specs and could even have up to a core i7 and a gtx 10-series gpu in there.

Current Pc:
Core 2 duo e7500 2.93Ghz
4gb DDR3 ram
AMD radeon 6450 passive cooled gpu
160gb hdd for windows
2tb hdd for game storage

1 Like

The answer is, sadly, no. It’s just too small. Plus, ventilation would be dangerously terrible. It’s like cramming too many organs in a body full of spikes.

1 Like

Aw man, I love the SNPC, best console ever, hands down.

But seriously, that would be way too small, and would probably overheat constantly.

optiplex bois unite

Core i5 3470
4gb DDR3 ram
AMd radeon 5450
73.5gb hdd for windows + garbage
111gb hdd for games + more garbage
111gb hdd for more games + even more garbage

1 Like

Right now with the pricing of everything, I would go with a AMD Ryzen 5 1600x for your CPU, and a GTX 900 series or similar AMD graphics card. And definitely at least 8gb of ram. A 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD helps as well, since Windows boots up so much faster, and games like TU really benefit from an SSD.

And, while sleeper builds are awesome, I’d go with a well ventilated case. Keeping components cool is key for longevity.

its been done before.

you just need to keep the power consumption under ~160 watts to be able to fit an adequate psu. (also heres proof its been done by someone else. I would probably NOT use a cheap atom board and go for gaming powah https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBtYiQ1mnvA )

the motherboard used in that video is an itx one and the idea is that I could probably do this without sacrificing the io shield and gpu support

Couldn’t you just say everything you want to say in one post? Instead of making three different posts? You can even edit your post to add more info if necessary.

3 Likes

Good luck keeping a halfway decent gaming computer under 160w in 2018… Maybe you’ll be able to play some of last year’s games on completely bottomed out settings, but you won’t get very far.

Most of the times, custom builds like this are more novelty than practicality. You won’t be doing much gaming on a system that’s only drawing 160w.

the Pentium I chose can be upgraded all the way to a i7 with the same or less power draw. ive also designed this to be atleast 2x as powerful as my current setup, so I will be able to play games I own at higher fps.

An i7 will draw more power than a pentium, wot.

there are processors that are designed for low power usage. ex: i7 7700t i5 7500t the t in their naming system represents 35w low power processors. even though they are low power, they still give relatively close performance to the regular versions. the Pentium I chose uses around 54 watts while the i7 7700t uses only 35 watts

Oh, yeah the newer ones have low powered ones, but they are lacking compared to their higher power counterparts. I’d still say it’s better to build a system like this as a novelty item, instead of your main PC.

1 Like