In-game working arcade cabinets using the Internet Arcade (archive.org)

Essentially… I want a free-to-play web emulated game like this:

…to be playable in TU on an in-world screen, possibly built into an arcade cabinet (canvas/electronic item.) And I want to open a condo that’s an arcade with a bunch of playable classic games, but they’re all legal and free because we’re linking to the Internet Arcade.

Obviously an arcade full of “real” games would probably be some kind of copyright violation if Pixeltail did it officially, but for users to be able to make something like this in-game would be pretty cool.

Most (if not all) of those games are still protected by copyright. Wont happen.

well, it can happen in condos in theory. If respective support and ui come out in future

That’s kind of what I was talking about. I think the copyright issues would come in if - say - Pixeltail wanted to put a Pac-Man cabinet in the Arcade (or Joust, or Big Game Hunter, or DDR or whatever.)

But technically, an individual user setting up something similar in their condo wouldn’t be any more of a copyright violation than playing a song off YouTube or Soundcloud, since the file exists elsewhere and the actual emulation of the file is happening elsewhere and both the file and the emulator that lets you play it in your browser are legally free and available to the public.

So, really, I’m just looking for an in-game TV screen that can do stuff with Java, (which would open up all kinds of possibilities, honestly…)

Certainly not a bad use case of more interaction with the web page, but it all falls apart in the scope of a social game. Other players wouldn’t be able to observe the game since the page is displayed locally for everyone, and streaming would likely be too bandwidth intensive of a solution.

For a solo experience it sounds decent, but otherwise the best you could theoretically achieve would be a game that itself kept track of players, and that means developing HTML5 games specifically for the game. It is probably a better idea to add comparable interactive objects for that matter.

1 Like

I keep forgetting that I’m like the least social player in TU… lol…

I think it’d work for Workshop condos people explore on their own - like, going to another space, checking out someone’s favorite games, etc. That’s too bad about the limitations of the in-game screens themselves.

I’d be really surprised if - at some point - the Internet Arcade didn’t build some kind of interesting, VR-ready 3D GUI so people could wander around their “own” arcade and actually play games in-world, and - hopefully - there’d be some kind of social aspect, too. Most decent emulators have some kind of “Player 2 is your online buddy now” option. Anarchy Arcade is basically dead, which is too bad because that sort of feels like the ideal 3D front end for the archive.