Hypothetical Debate: Tower Unite and Steam Marketplace

No problem for me then, since acquiring those items is just pure luck depending on the occurrence rates. But I would understand other people getting mad about this since it then basically is luck vs spending money.

If people really have an issue with other people spending money, then just make items bought from the Market ā€œnot genuineā€?

1 Like

Thatā€™sā€¦ actually the exact problem I have with this. I guess when you strip it down to its core it really does sound silly.[quote=ā€œErickson9610, post:22, topic:4409ā€]
just make items bought from the Market ā€œnot genuineā€
[/quote]

I can see players getting confused over that, since modded items are already ā€œnon-genuine.ā€

2 Likes

Well, maybe there could be another tag to describe items bought from the market, that would also contribute to the genuine to non genuine ratio of items in someoneā€™s condo.

1 Like

I would be under the impression that regular items you buy from the store wouldnā€™t be marketable, mostly because the only function would be a pay to win shortcut. Items you buy from stores have a fixated price, they wouldnā€™t fluctuate once the direct GMC to IRL is found.

this is spitballing of course

iā€™ll spit your balls

3 Likes

I agree, stock items bought at stores would all be 3 cents in the Marketā€¦ meaning thereā€™s really no point in spending money on them. Iā€™d rather see valuable items in the Market instead of hundreds of tables and lights.

Seasonal items or limited time items are the only kinds of items that would be worth spending 3 cents on.

Right now the only items we know about that arenā€™t in stores are the fish,gems,gold and toast. Which, all would be 3 cents except gems and gold. I have a feeling the marketplace might end up sucking.

I donā€™t see how allowing people to purchase regular items with real currency would be pay to win. Itā€™s not like you are selling exclusive items like power ups that you can only get with real money, weā€™re talking like beds and couches.

This is going to happen regardless of the marketplace. People will just trade tables for real money on third party sites or in steam chats. Might as well have the developers get a small cut of that from the get go.

Iā€™m talking about a scenario where a person doesnā€™t want to spend hours playing games to get a 20,000gmc genuine item, and just buys it instead. Tower as it is seems to have an inherent ā€œcollect them allā€ mentality, so Itā€™s not rewarding whatsoever when you just buy it instead of working for it.

1 Like

But thatā€™s all dependant on the player. Like Iā€™ve said before, people are going to play the game how they want to play the game. Why would I care if someone wants to buy with real money all their condo items? It doesnā€™t affect me in anyway.

Because condos are a bragging right. There wouldnā€™t be a way to tell the difference between a piano that someone worked hours to purchase, and the other one where a guy just bought it and plopped it in. If you buy everything for your condo without working for it, half of the game is gone; buying shit is the incentive for playing game worlds. Players like to admire other peoples condos, thatā€™s the entire mentality of the genuine meter.

Selling ordinary items is basically the same thing as having a way to purchase GMC directly with real money. The market would have to be limited if we wanted to implement it. Regular furniture would be sold through Tower, not the market.

4 Likes

And like Iā€™ve stated before, this is going to happen regardless of you adding Marketplace support for the ordinary items anyway.

I agree with you on this aspect, but what about these other items that are going to be Marketplace-able. Doesnā€™t the same logic apply to them as well?

They would be unique items that arenā€™t obtainable through stores. Random drops, etc.

So you either would have to grind and pray to the Random Number Generator gods that you get it, or you turn around and buy it on the marketplace. That doesnā€™t sound very fun or fair.

2 Likes

This is all really depending on how itā€™s decided prices are set on the furniture items I suppose, like what happens if the GMC conversion rate is super low? Everyone can just scoop up every item in the game in an instant.

But itā€™s already been said that Units are worth more than GMC, so Iā€™d assume there would be at least a greater than 1.1 (and since I donā€™t think you guys are doing decimals, Iā€™d assume this number would really be at least 2) GMC to Units.

err i meant units to real life, my mind is broken

1 Like

Ehhh Iā€™m fine with it.
Itā€™s a small sacrifice for otherwise awesome game
Also can I point out these prices are going to get very low once some time passes? Because there will be an increasing number of items in the economy?

1 Like

Thatā€™s one of the things I think would be kind of neat about this anyway. The pricing is all based off supply and demand, so the community itself would be making the prices.