Hunger Thirst

Needs system. Not like in a survival game but 2 meals a day maybe. Needs system can be also used with the upcoming cooking update. I mean there is no need to use the soda dispenser if you don’t have to.

Please use the search functionality on the forums, as this has been suggested multiple times.

The general consensus (which I agree with) is that these systems bring nothing fun to the table. It’d just be an added chore that makes you do something you probably don’t want to do. That’s not to say that food/drinks as an idea is bad (one idea I’ve seen that I like is temporary, fun effects), but the idea that they are necessary to your play session is simply annoying. In a survival game, their purpose is to give the player a goal to strive for (namely, to not die). TU is not about survival; the goal of this game is whatever you make, but for the general player it will be to collect Units to buy the items they want. Maybe you can think of a reasonable purpose for hunger systems, but I cannot.

5 Likes

The very existance of food in the game seem pointless to me. Alcohol however has a “drink me you will have fun” side. But i can’t say the same thing for the other consumables.

The food is for a planned cooking system.

The cooking system is for rare items, (similar to crafting) is it not?

During the Ocean Expansion, we’re supposed to be able to cook foods and drinks (like potions) that’d have different effects for exploration.

I’m OK with potions. But i won’t go buy a pizza from the shop or soda from the dispenser because i think it’s a waste of money. And many people would agree with me. I’m just proposing that food and drink in the game needs some purpose. And the solution i have is a hunger and thirst system(_not as hardcore as a survival game [ perhaps being hungry can affect the efficiency of the minigames you play by a slight amount _])

I think that it could potentially be cool if eating certain foods/drinks did have effects of boosting unit gain (like a Watermelon giving extra units in Ball Race). BUT, I definitely wouldn’t like it if I had to keep my hunger/thirst up just to get maximum rewards from playing the game. I shouldn’t have to waste my time buying food items to keep a meter up, but I am happy to have the choice of buying foods for condo decorations or for random special effects.

you know that food items in the game currently are for decoration right? and a hunger system would end up horrible for a party game which is foremost meant for having fun.

Well, the devs are strongly against needs systems, so that wont happen.

1 Like

I agree with the posts saying “Boosts xp/efficiency” It would be neat, simply spend X amount on a food item for a boost to Hole-In-One experience gain. The only Issue I see with this is people not using the Game Zone, however, it would make people use the lobby more, instead of the Main Menu.

I don’t think adding an annoying meter that could be easily refilled would fix anything. It’d just make buying and consuming these things a necessity, rather than an interesting option or a challenge for the player to overcome.

Hunger/thirst systems make sense in survival games (where getting food and clean water is often a big part of the experience) and sometimes RPGs (in which they make the player plan every journey in advance, look for the cheapest/best options, try to find free food outside the towns, etc). Not in a game where you can get food very easily at all times. Especially so if the game is multiplayer, since this is a very subjective thing.

2 Likes

ok guys guys, what about food, but it works like it does in splatoon 2, xp and money boosters that last for X amount of rounds or matches

3 Likes

Money boosters sounds like a good idea.

Having a negative effect on you for not eating/drinking sounds like a terrible idea imo, but getting a positive effect from eating/drinking sounds like a fun one.

1 Like

I can go with that. Is there any XP system planned for future?

Sure is.

That doesn’t make much sense. Splatoon 2 requires special tickets to be used before the player can get any of the bonuses. In Tower, you can get food at any time for units, thus turning any bonuses/boosters it could provide into a thing the player has to keep an eye on and constantly refill to get the most out of the activities they do. Essentially a less harsh hunger meter.

i never said you’d pay for food using units, you could implement special tickets or anything really

Well… alright, that could work then.