Home Server PC

So I have an old PC laying around. I have been thinking of turning it into a home server for hosting servers and having it do cloud printing.

Here are the specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4 ghz
4 GB DDR2 Ram
NVIDIA GeForce GT 7?00 512mb*

Do you think this would be good enough or should i just do something else with it?

*I dont remember the exact model, i think it was a 7800

The RAM is the biggest issue especially for a computer meant for server hosting, GPU is slightly below acceptable too. You should upgrade the RAM to 8 or 16 GB DDR3, and possibly get a low-tier GTX, unless I don’t know if GPU matters for server hosting all that much. Not sure about CPU, but that one could also have a slight upgrade.

So, biggest things to improve: RAM and CPU. GPU is less important I guess.

Or are you not looking for whether these specs are okay, but what you could use a computer with these specs for? If it’s that, then disregard my upgrade suggestions.

Yeah. Ill think of investing in more ram. Although i dont think ill be getting a new CPU or GPU for it because that would require me to have to purchase a new PSU, which will be too much money, and I wouldnt be able to have the time to rewire the entire PC.

I disagree with @Radek. A server doesn’t need a GPU, it sucks only energy so just remove it.
4GBs of RAM are plenty for what you want to do. A dedicated lobby server only uses 1GB of ram, consider 1GB for the OS if you refuse to use Linux.
If you are OK with using a Linux distro I’d recommend you to connect your printer directly to the server and host a network printer using CUPS. You can host a TU server at the same time by following the official instructions.

2 Likes

Oh i was going to use Chrome Cloud Printing. Idk if I’ll still be going the Linux route because i have this weird glitch with my graphics (see this post on Ask Ubuntu)
But i will need the GPU.

Seems to be an issue with your GPU driver. If your mobo has its own GPU remove your Nvidia one and use your mobo GPU.
But there are other ways to deal with this as well.

Are there any requirements for a NAS? Got this (really) old mediacenter PC laying around with no use.

Depends on what kind of NAS you want. But first off: DON’T USE WINDOWS SERVER FOR A NAS. There are way better solutions than this.
If you want redundant storage you need multiple HDDs in a storage array. As an operating system I would recommend FreeNAS if you only need a NAS. If you want to use ZFS (highly recommended) as a filesystem for your array you need to make sure you have at least 1GB of RAM per Terabyte of storage.

This video talks about media streaming solutions in general: https://youtu.be/g_0NmNvgP80
And this one explains the process of setting up a FreeNAS server: https://youtu.be/eWsWpFwpzgQ

Tip for your PC: remove the any dedicated GPU as they only suck energy

1 Like

Well it seams your right, its my GPU. So i decided to just use Windows 7 Ultimate (thanks windows 7 AIO by orbit30)

Step 1 of 43,000 done

Well you can host game servers like this. But there is no way for you to set up a proper NAS server with a reliable SoftRAID on non Windows Server versions. I’d still recommend installing Ubuntu Server which has no GUI at all and only text-mode.

But I don’t need a NAS.