Dracula's Castle - Multiplayer Map

Hello there! With the new updates I wanted to make a map either for Virus or SDNL. My aim is to make a highly immersive map that is still fun to play.

The theme I decided for it is Dracula’s castle, mainly inspired by the novel and the classic Universal movies:

So far I only have the exterior and the castle’s courtyard, but I aim to make at least three interior areas, all interconnected.

I played around the idea of adding a black and white grainy filter to the whole map, so it feels more like a classic monster movie, but I dont know if that would be good for gameplay.

Hope you guys like it! I will try to post updates when I can!

10 Likes

Hello again! I didnt have much time to work on this, but I managed to finish one of the interior rooms, the Foyer:

“Children of the Night, what music they make!”

And this is how the exterior courtyard looks connected to this area:

5 Likes

This is some absolutely stunning work

1 Like

Is Dracula’s Castle gonna be a huge SDNL/Virus map? :european_castle: :bat: :vampire:

I wouldnt say that it is going to be a huge map. The idea is to make around five areas, the castle courtyard, the foyer, a master bedroom upstairs, a small section of the bridge and cliffs outside the castle, and an underground crypt connecting the bridge with the foyer. I would say that the map will end being in the small/maybe medium size, but probably small.

It will be an SDNL map. I would like to make it work on Virus as well, but for some reasing when I test it for Virus it changes from night time to daytime, and resets all the weather and fog parameters I want it to have. I could force a similar weather and lighting conditions with an area effect, but it doesnt do rain and thunder, and the fog is kind of weird, so I am unsure atm.

Yeah the day/night and weather settings are really inconsistent about working on workshop maps for some reason. You can at least use a Sky Volume to force the time of day and fog, although that has its own issues (changing time of day makes the sun/moon position inconsistent in the map editor vs. game worlds and dying tends to break the fog, at least when the volume is set to Global).

Ok, I need advice on this. I originally had the idea of adding a filter volume to the whole map, so it would look like a classic, grainy, black and white monster movie, like in these screenshots:

But I feel like it would be annoying while playing the map, and makes stuff like powerups and other players hard to see at a glance. So I’m torned.

Also, now that I’m posting this, I will take advantage of it and post a sneak peak of a new area I am working on :3

Alright, updates! I finally finished the upper lever of the castle, which contains the Master Bedroom, and connects the Foyer with the leftmost part of the courtyard’s gallery.

So far most of the castle is inspired by both the classic 1931 movie, and two famous romanian castles, Bran Castle and Corvin Castle. The book does mention an octagonal room inside the castle however, so I wanted to include it as well, partly based not in a romanian castle but an scottish one, Slains castle, which is theorized that did inspire Bran Stoker to include such a room

Hope you guys are enyoying the updates. Will post more stuff when I can!

3 Likes

Another update! I finished the underground crypt, the largest area of the map, that connects the foyer with the castle’s bridge and a small cliffs section:

And with this the general map’s layout is finished! Only thing I have left to do is general landscaping around the ravine outside the castle, and tune the map for its use in game.

4 Likes

have you thought aobut using the brick items to make good arch brick designs for the vaulted ceilings? baby in a pipe’s condos are a great reference for anything gothic architecture.

That’s an interesting idea! However, the way the ancient brick’s origin point works is a bit finicky to work with, and copypasting such group of props that complex is a bit tedious in the current editor, so I will think about it. But I will give it a try nonetheless!

Also, ye I have seen some of Baby_in_a_pipe’s condos! Their Anor Londo is very impressive

Well guys, it is done! You can play the map here:

And the VIRUS version here:

If you try it please tell me what you though of it and if there’s anything you would change or improve! Thank you!!

4 Likes