Display item icon instead of the model for item showoffs

That’s probably the most confusing title I’ve ever wrote.

Basically, when you catch a fish your show it off in your hands. Instead of using the actual model, simply use the steam inventory icon, achieving the same result.

I really like this showoff feature but (from an uneducated guess) it looks like there’s alot of unnecessary extra work put into the backend of it, such as positioning and posing every single individual item. (I’ve noticed some fish appearing up to players waists.) Thought using an icon system instead would be an end all be all solution, especially if more items were to come. Plus this could potentially work with other activities like spin-2-win, metal detector events and character events. Might help with performance too.

This is definitely an odd suggestion because it’s more for the devs than the players, just something that I was thinking about.

Personally, I don’t think I’d really like this change. I love the fact that I can fish and pull up an actual shopping cart and then all the friends I’m fishing with can see it too. Some of the impact would lost if it was just a thumbnail of a shopping cart instead.

7 Likes

yeah, i honestly thing the whole model is a lot cooler than a sprite or card of the icon, plus that’d just be putting more work in

2 Likes

I really like having 3D models being shown. There’s a lot more detail to them and our icon editor isn’t the best. It would look really lazy if we just did icons IMO. The impact just wouldn’t be the same.

The fish appearing in the waists was a known bug and we just shipped with it (so it didn’t delay the entire update). It can and will be fixed. Also work was already put into doing the 3D display… it would be more work to redo that than to just fix the small bug.

11 Likes

How to tell when your devs are awesome and hard working

3 Likes