Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency

Boring storytime shit you can safely skip:

Once every few years one of these things come along that are just awesome and you have to tell everybody to check them out, you quote them all the time and preorder the Bluray. With the awesomeness comes the realization that sadly, it might only get worse because there’s no way the makers can continue that level of quality so you’re happy when the continuation is not money milking sequelitis bullshit. Rick and Morty was one of these shows for me and it has now claimed the rank in popularity it deserves. This weekend the second season finale of another show made it clear that the writer knew exactly what he was doing and everyone involved is just happy to be part of it:

Here comes the obligatory namedrop:

How do I describe this show without spoiling… I could try dropping the trailer that made me watch the first episode which got me hooked instantly:

I don’t need a trailer, I know the Dirk Gently books by Douglas Adams, I…

I’m afraid I have to stop you right there, people who watched the show and read the books tell me it’s something different that only really shares the name. That’s because in the opinion of the makers, you cannot adopt Dirk Gently as a series, all you can do is do your own thing in the same spirit. Apparently they’re both awesome though.

The only warning I should give you before starting with season one would be that the first episode is designed to make you go WTF. It will give you way more questions than answers and I’m pretty sure many negative reviews are based on the reviewer just having watched that one episode.

You cannot fool me, I’ve watched LOST, shows that show weird shit in the end only explain the bare minimum, everything else is always up for interpretation or was just decoration for the sake of looking odd!

I had the exact same fear. But this show does the unthinkable and everything makes sense in the end. By the end of the season, the mystery is explained. Okay to be fair, some overarching questions haven’t been answered yet but those are like, 5%. And it’s pretty obvious they are to be answered in greater context of later seasons.

Here’s the official list of where to watch it.

While researching what links to best put here and making sure that season two will come to NETFLIX January 5th and not another date, I read that the low viewership made BBCA cancel the show yesterday. But it was a collaboration with NETFLIX and the studio is still interested so there’s a chance if you all would do me a favor and fall in love with the show so it gets big on NETFLIX.

https://twitter.com/Uptomyknees/status/942872641668386817

2 Likes

hooooooly shit.

okay you’ve sold me, anything by dougy boy is an instant yes. thanks for sharing.

edit: okay so i’m a big dumb dumb. basically speed read it and didn’t notice that section on ‘only name sharing’ and stuff. either way, looks pretty neato regardless.

I haven’t read everything by Adams but what I read I loved just as much so the chances of it being pretty neato are good. I don’t know how much exactly both works share but the show does references and direct quotes.

I saw the first season already, it was great.

• I wrote in the OP that it’s partially cancelled. Season 2 isn’t even out yet on NETFLIX, though.
  • All there “is” would be some blue tick twitter lady spouting out vague allegations under a NETFLIX promo tweet. But I understand how easy it is to just accept rumors as facts, it means you can instantly comment the moment you’ve read the “news”, even r/DirkGently thinks it’s the apocalypse…

Both of those have zero influence on the current quality of the show.

Friendly Reminder that it’s January 5th and the second season is out on NETFLIX. At least it appears to be here. Just in case you wanted to binge both seasons as soon as season two would be on there. I could understand if you had planned to do that all along. It’s a show to be binged.

Since the trailer linked above isn’t used by the official sources anymore and the other trailers spoil a bit much for my taste, have a peek at Wendimoor from season two instead. Yes, this is the same show.