Decrease the difficulty of the Planetary Piano Achievements

The achievements that you earn within Planetary Piano, specifically, “I’m Having a Key Stroke” (Completing a perfect game of 4-Key Sprint 64 within eight seconds.) And “That’s a Lot Of Notes!” (Play a perfect game of 8-Key Sprint 64) are both nearly impossible. You don’t have enough time for either achievement unless you’ve played rhythm games for a very long time. As someone who hasn’t done so, and mainly plays FPS games and Tower Unite, it doesn’t really feel fair. I think a nerf is needed in order to make it easier for people to achieve while still having it be something you have to be good at Planetary Piano to get.

agreed; 4 key is definitely pretty easy for some rhythm game players in particular but if you’re inexperienced with those types of games (i for one cannot push 3 seconds left, my mind literally cannot keep up :<…) you might as well call it impossible

8-key in particular seems to be extremely hard for everyone… one of my friends being a ddr expert got the 4 key achievement instantly and took 2 and a half hours of constant play to get 8-key… now if you’re not a ddr expert? forget about it…

i feel like the 4 key achievement needs to be changed to something like “finish a perfect game before the time limit runs out” and 8 key should be something like “play x amount of correct notes before the timer runs out”

6 Likes

While I don’t think decreasing the difficulty of a hard achievement (besides some RNG-related ones) is ever a great solution (because achievements aren’t mandatory), I do agree that a couple of the Planetary Piano achievements are ridiculously hard. Instead, I would suggest offering some kind of extended practice mode (around 1 min 30 seconds - 2 min 30 seconds) to allow players to get better at the game without being kicked out for one missed note or being locked into an extremely short timeframe. I also think that a possible practice mode should cost a few more tokens to play and should not offer any tickets.

1 Like

The suggestion of lowering the difficulty of anything is sure to be touchy, but I agree. I of course don’t think that it should be possible to get every achievement with no effort, but i think it should be possible for a dedicated player of normal skill level to be able to achieve everything in time. I think these achievements in particular are pretty hardcore.

6 Likes

I think maybe the 8-key sprint achievement is fine, it’s extremely hard casually but it’s the kind of achievement that’s very grindable, kind of like trying to push 70 WPM for the typing derby achievement if that’s not your writing speed already. I’m up to 50 notes after a few hours of practice, it shouldn’t be too far off for me.

The 8 second 4-key sprint is completely ridiculous. I can’t even mash a single note 64 times in 8 seconds. Try it! You’ll end up with like 6 seconds left. The guides I’ve read on the achievement recommend learning every map by heart for each song (I didn’t even know they weren’t randomly generated) and “hoping you get an arpeggiated map because anything with too many repeated notes is borderline impossible”. I honestly suspect it might even be genetically impossible for some people to get this achievement, considering the hand dexterity required. Not to mention carpal tunnel syndrome. I don’t think the achievement should be just getting a normal perfect game, but anything over 5 seconds left on the timer is insanity.

4 Likes

I’d rather deal with x-amount of games, x-amount of perfect games, etc. in games like these, than have to deal with a timer.

2 Likes

I tried the “I’m Having a Key Stroke” achievements when it was released, and after trying for a few hours, quit and forgot about it until recently when I decided to return to the game again with some friends.

The achievement is still ridiculously hard. I mostly play rhythm games, and I find this next to impossible to earn unless you’re either playing like it’s a full time job, or cheating. I can occasionally finish a perfect song with 5.4s remaining, but to make that 7s? That feels impossible to someone who enjoys the machine. I can’t imagine how disparaging it must be if you don’t like the machine to begin with.

Was this achievement tested, or earned by any of the developers before release? It seems artificially difficult with only 0.1% of the community earning it (side note: 0.1% have also earned Pixel Crusader: Phase One so who knows how many of that 0.1% used SAM to earn it).

“I’m Having a Key Stroke” is currently more rare than Bowling a 300, Jumping 200,000 in the Plaza, Winning 100 times at Trivia, and reaching Level 5 on the Stack’em machine.

I swear this is my third and final edit, " That’s a Lot Of Notes!" has less than 0.1% of players who have earned it since release. It’s listed as 0%. All the other achievements near these two are either complete X level 30 times, or multiplayer achievements. These are the first two skill based, single player achievements, and they are the rarest two in the game.

3 Likes

This is still ridiculously hard, even compared to every other achievement I have tried to get in this game. Thinking on just giving up on the achievement grind knowing I will never complete this one.

1 Like

I would like to say, the average human reaction time to visual stimuli is 0.25 seconds. Having to play 8 notes a second means you must play a note every .125 seconds which is half the reaction time of a normal person. Meaning the average person is unable to react fast enough to the notes appearing.

EDIT: i have around 20 hours maybe a bit more just playing planetary piano now. still havent got the achievement the best i can average is around 10 seconds with out consistency.

1 Like

As someone who just got both of these achievements recently, it’s hard, but doable. The only change I’d like to see is to have a 1-2 second pause before the timer starts counting so the notes can load and you can actually process what’s in front of you. In my recordings of myself getting the achievements and actually going for them there’s on average at least a half second lost because the notes have to load in first, let alone knowing which key to hit first. Otherwise I don’t think the actual requirements need to be adjusted.

1 Like

Yes please, as someone who plays rhythm games, these achievements inhuman.
(This is not normal [STEAM] Achievement Hunt: Tower Unite (I'm Having a Key Stroke) - YouTube )

1 Like

I agree. As someone who’s been playing rhythm games for a long time, I still can’t get the “I’m Having a Key Stroke” achievement no matter how much I try, and I feel like I’m just stuck slamming myself against a brick wall here. I’m all for having a tough achievement to shoot for, but this is beyond insane! I would say “That’s a Lot Of Notes!” works better as a tough achievement, since it’s something that one could feasibly grind and get good enough at since it doesn’t have such an insurmountable time crunch to it. IHaKS, on the other hand, feels like something I’d literally need to cheat on if I ever hope to get it in its current state. Please nerf, even just a little bit. I’ll even take just one extra second.

some arcade achievements are pretty random or made for ppl with skill … imposible for some ppl

the 64 sprint in 10 seconds or less is IMPOSSIBLE. unless you’re some actual professional osu player you’re not going to be able to hit this. I’ve spent 3-4 hours sitting here playing the game to barely shred a whole second off of my 14 seconds best. No reason it shouldn’t just be perfect game before the time runs out like the 8 key one.

1 Like

I think this achievement should be simply “Play a perfect game of 4-Key Sprint 64 in Planetary Piano” instead of within 10 seconds. I got all of achievements in arcade except Planetary Piano and Stack 'Em because of how difficult it is. At this time of writing; only 0.4% of players have gotten it.

I’m pretty decent at playing video games and I personally think this one definitely needs to be changed to be more accessible. On average whenever I manage to get a perfect game- I couldn’t get more than 2 seconds remaining myself and I’ve been trying for a while.

Perfect game on 8-key is exactly 30 seconds- so perfect game on 4-key should be 15 seconds- not 10 seconds.

These kinds of achievements should not exist in a game with laggy moments.