Create a way to get backer items

I am a backer.
When I use a backer item in PLAZA, they ask me, “What is that?”
I don’t want to tell people that I can’t get it anymore, so I don’t use a backer item anymore.
I think I need a way to get a backer item.
But we know it’s not easy in this game where you can’t pay extra.
We need a way.

6 Likes

I agree that backer items are a problem. In a game marketed as being micro-transaction free, and completely accessible, having permanently exclusive items is a bummer to lots of people.

However, this problem simply doesn’t have a solution. Offering backer rewards is a key part of crowdfunding, and their exclusivity was part of the point of those items in the first place. It would be ethically, and perhaps even legally questionable to offer them out now in any way shape or form.

Though this issue goes bigger than just backer items, there’s GMT exclusives, random exclusive items that have been removed/changed, event exclusives (I’m not sure to what extent, but I believe there are some), etc.

Games like these that partially revolve around your items, and how many/which ones you have, tend to have at least some exclusivity to make items feel special. Though I do think in an ideal world all exclusive items can be gotten again one day, that even if there’s an exclusive item you can’t get now, it might be available in an event a year down the line.

For backer items though, things might need to stay this way. A trading system may be the only realistic option, though the idea of a system like that is heavily debated, and many agree that even if it is implemented, backer items would be non-tradable.

It isn’t great, but I view it as the unfortunate cost of crowd funding.

It’s also worth noting that items like Speed Shoes may be getting “non-backer” versions at some point, though this definitely doesn’t solve the overall problem.

7 Likes

I like how considerate you are of others.
But even though I’m not a backer and want backer items so bad.
they are extremely special one time only items that people payed potentially extra for at that certain time to help make the game possible, it’s like a thank you from the devs to the backers, they would be ruined if the items suddenly became possible to everyone.

Like @ScienceBird is saying, maybe non backer alternatives to them items should be put in place, but not giving out the actual backer items to people.

10 Likes

Probably the best way to tackle this situation is to reach a compromise. And alternative to backer items.

For example with unit bills, you could have a free variant that’s like monopoly money. Something like the backer shoes absolutely should have an alternative for newer players, it was straight up “Back-To-Win” when collectible events were server side.

As for the GMT items (even though it wasn’t mentioned in the thread) I still think players should have a second chance if they participate in the GMT Reunion.

6 Likes

You have no idea how badly I want this.

1 Like

they’re meant to be exclusive items as a way of saying “thanks for supporting us in the early days!”
making them available again will cause them to lose all value and meaning.

take for example the excalibur prime drama from warframe; he was given out to people who brought the founders pack during the early days to give the developers better funding, along with a couple extra goodies for higher tier founders.
through the years, the demand for excalibur prime to return has increased exponentially yet the developers always said “no” because of their promise to keep that item and all other founder exclusives as exclusives. going back on that promise would be a right spit in the face to those who brought the packs and stuck around for that long.
i want those founders items in warframe more than anything, but i know that if i ever manage to get ahold of them or they are re-released to all then they become yet another item for my inventory that i’ll use a couple of times then forget about.

lets apply that to the TU kickstarter items and GMT legacy items; they were made to serve a purpose of showing that you were there in the early days, you may have even paid for them by donating to the indigogo project or GMT server. by having those items it lets you and others know that you cared enough about the project in its early and rough days to pay for it.
if they were made available once again as a store item, they no longer have any meaning or purpose. just another furniture or cosmetic that someone will see and go “yeah that’s cool” then move on.

GMT reunion should absolutely not give the same items that those who played the original GMT got, but perhaps something else that is similar to scratch the itch people have for those exclusives.

11 Likes

Yes I agree with expert
For the backer and gmt items they should never be given out again
But then alternatives to the backer items that are not as cool but serve the same purpose (if they do serve one like the speed shoes increased speed)
For reunion I dislike the idea of giving out the gmt stuff, since the gmt stuff shows how you were there before TU.
imo the original gmt stuff for old gmt players is nice since it shows the appreciation to the userfor being apart and involved with gmt and tu for many years and staying with or coming back to them for after so many years and not walking away, then the back items show how you helped to make TU become possible and you helped a lot for it to be created.
But reunion is more so a side thing there and not involved in the progress/timeline of old gmt and tu, it’s just something they did on the side and I don’t feel there is much to thank or appreciate the user to give them an item for playing reunion.

6 Likes