Condo guests can't see canvases at long distance (also CRASHES!)

NOTE: This actually started with the engine upgrade update!

Basically, since the move to 4.20, canvases that are far away from condo guests simply don’t show. Once close enough to render, returning to long distance will make them simply vanish after a few seconds. Based on my experience, this only affects condo guests, but not condo hosts, so many people may not even be aware that it’s happening unless the condo guest is intimately familiar with the layout, notices, and informs the host.

Let me demonstrate with this house condo I joined. Pardon the framerate, my computer hates recording gameplay.

This is extremely problematic for me, as I very often use gigantic canvas objects to decorate the skybox and change the feel of condo maps. Here’s another example:

The moving sky in this clip is a scaled-up canvas dome that is set near location 0,0,0 on the map (top left corner, inside the circle of mountains). My friends load in and see the custom sky fine. When teleported to the tea house on the bottom right of the clip here, my friends reported that the custom sky would soon disappear and you could see default blue sky. All of the Fuji graphics reportedly never rendered for them at all, obviously given the huge distance from both spawn and the teahouse.

Simply put…What I see.

What they see (after a few seconds after teleporting (if they don’t crash)) (their screenshot)

I want to put a heavy emphasis that this was never an issue before the engine upgrade. We spent countless hours in this map, objects of any variety had no visibility issues no matter the distance. Here’s a video tour someone did of my specific example in a much earlier state, where you can see canvases disappearing wasn’t an issue at all

Lastly, there may be a crash involved with this, as several of my friends will crash in roughly the same timeframe as the house video when moved distances that seem to trigger this behavior.

Here’s one of their dumps:
https://mega.nz/file/Z4YkWQrJ#1AYkyK17N5uYhh41q-x5uwwejP2ejqJQY3z1F5d4Fkw

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.