Clientside Treasure

My thoughts are already known about the treasure system (I think it should be a constant thing and not event exclusive) but one immediate improvement I think would be for the treasure to be clientside.

It’s pretty annoying having this tiny window to collect treasure that comes very periodically, only to go to the beach, and have the furry avatar nearby constantly take treasure that you are tracking because they have superior latency/luck.

5 Likes

Fixed it for you.

Anyway having client side treasure would be nice, it would allow you to collect the treasure at your own pace which i assume would fit pretty well with the idea of the metal detector back before the devs had finished it and only make it work during a treasure event, for the time being.

And without having to risk some random dude sprinting over to you from halfway across the beach just to take the treasure you were looking for.

Course we’d need to reduce the amount of treasure that spawns for each client because no way you would be able to gather 90 chest within the event time, and i doubt the server would be able to handle that many treasure chest for every single player.

1 Like
3 Likes

Yeah racing with the metal detector + dealing with latency differences makes it really hard to enjoy, and sets the pace to something that feels completely different to what you’d expect from casually using a metal detector.

1 Like

I would love the treasure hunting to be a regular thing, but it’s far too strong to be on all the time when you can get golds unless the chance was dramatically lower.

1 Like

Just like to +1 this. I know MacD mentioned he might do it. I just think the whole “PvP” aspect of the treasure event is a huge annoyance.

2 Likes

It’d be cool if metal detection made use of the side beaches so that people would naturally gravitate to those areas more often. Would give those areas a purpose while the content slowly expands.

1 Like

The metal detector event does use the side beaches though?

The beach area behind the tower has no treasure.

It does, actually.

Of course, every beaches has treasures

I agree with both of these things

But if it’s client side, wouldn’t it be handled by the client?

Half and half actually, both the server and the client has to do certain things inorder for this treasure hunt event to work, the entire process is a bit complicated and weird so to keep it short and simple:

First the server you are on reaches the designated time where it has to do a certain action, which in this case is spawning treasures for people to find.

Said server takes the amount of players that is connected to it and then uses that info in some mathematical equations to find out how many treasures it needs to spawn.

Then it uses more mathematical equations to find out where it should put each individual treasure (we will return to this point in a moment).

Now the server has done all it needs inorder to be able to do said treasure event, which means now the event will start, best thing about all of this is that nowdays the parts in the servers that makes these kind of things possible have become so powerful that all of these things are done in mere fractions of a second.

paragraph splitter

paragraph splitter

Now the client (Your computer) will also join the process that is going on:
The server will send out a broadcast to all the connected players that says that treasure has just washed up on the beaches.

The players go to the beach and start searching for treasure, meanwhile the server is telling the computer where on the beach the tresure chest are located and how many treasures there are, the player doesn’t see get to see this info.

When a player finds a treasure the computer tells the server that the player collected a chest that was at where ever said chest was, the server will despawn the chest and change the value on the “treasures left” counter because it was programmed to, the server will tell the computer that it acknowledges what it has been told, and then it will give the player a item as a reward for finding a chest because it was programmed to do that.

paragraph splitter

paragraph splitter

That’s the only parts you need to know about at the moment of how the system works,
Changing the treasures to being client side wont change much in this process, other than that now the server would be telling the clients of treasure locations only a specific player would be able to find, which means you wouldn’t be able to go over to where another person is standing and take their treasure, because the client hasn’t been told anything is there.

And the reason as to why it might be a big stress on the server if we don’t limit how many treasure it would give each client if we made the treasures client side is because the insane increase it processing that the server would need to do.

Imagine if we just changed it so that every player would be able to find the amount of treasures that usually spawn on a 30 player server, for each and every player.
Instead of just calculating and updating the position of 90 treasure chest in total it would end up having to do that with 2700 treasures since it would be giving each player 90 treasures to find.

Ah, I see. Makes sense. I’m sure the whole process would have to be reworked.