Catsack - A Discord bot for everything Tower Unite!

maybe have it so you need to enable it if you want it. I can see it being annoying to some people that don’t care about ballrace times

1 Like

That’s my original intent.

Definitely possible but I can’t promise it being extremely fast to post new times. I want to avoid making too many requests and Steam ratelimiting me. I’ll see about adding this in the next few days.

You could poll the leaderboard every x minutes and save those results, and let anyone wanting the results to grab the cached results. On a new cache session it’ll show the updates to top ranks I guess? That’s what I think you’re gonna do.

2 Likes

:thinking:

1 Like

Probably took the link out of this post:

Maybe a potential fix could be to directly link the forum post rather than whatever links are directly in the thread?

I don’t really see it as an issue. It has context from the previous video that it would have linked, and it won’t happen too often to be a problem.
It’s more convenient to provide direct links as new ones are available than to just provide a link to the post (as sometimes the post gets edited with new videos)
I can try having it only post videos, images, etc that have been embedded and that will avoid it posting any other links.
Just implemented this and it appears to work fine. Now the bot will only post videos/images, not just any link. If the bot happens to miss anything important I can always manually post it myself.

3 Likes

Major bump but I thought I would share something I added to the bot just now.

The ‘leaderboard’ command now renders a full image, as opposed to returning an embed. It looks like this:

… which is a lot nicer looking than this (how it was previously)
It currently supports all Ball Race leaderboards, and I’m thinking of including a few other games if people would like them to be added.

It’s not perfect (for example, emojis in people’s names don’t render at all right now) and I do plan on updating it in the future. I’ve been working on it for a little while now and thought it was in a good state for me to release it.

thank you everyone who’s continued to use the bot, I’m hoping to release more updates like this

15 Likes

very cool!

1 Like

Another bump to this thread, but i’ve just updated the bot once again. This time i’ve added account linking, allowing you to link your Steam and Discord accounts.

But why?

Once you have linked your accounts, the bot will be able to automatically search for your exp and leaderboard times without you having to enter your profile URL every single time (as seen below). Hopefully features that I add in the future will also be able to make use of this functionality.

Examples

https://owo.whats-th.is/33jZFza.png
https://tower.is-fi.re/52aKU6U.png

How does it work?

Run the link command in discord to receive the instructions and a URL to begin the account linking process (or just click here)

The process itself is very simple, it will first ask you to login through Discord and then Steam. The only data stored is your Discord and Steam IDs which can be deleted at any time using the unlink command, or by contacting me and asking for them to be removed.

(also, I only just recently setup this website so it’s not fully fleshed out yet or in a state where i’m completely happy with it. im also just terrible at web dev please dont judge)
I’ve been making small changes here and there over the past few months, but nothing substantial enough to need a post here, but I thought I would mention this at least. I’m now hoping to add more features to the website over the next few months.
:smiley:

(Just a note, the VPS running the website + discord bot unexpectedly died about 13 hours ago and I’ve only just restored it. Sorry if anyone was attempting to use it during that time)

12 Likes

Just pushed a small update to the exp command, it now shows your current badge (using Discord emoji) as well as the exp value.

A reminder that you can now also link your accounts, thats how I was able to run this command without providing a link to my Steam profile. Read the above post for instructions as to how you can do that :smiley:
Getting these badges to show correctly required me to spend quite a long time entering them manually as there was no way of automating it… I wish I could get that time back, but oh well.

I thought that I would also share a screenshot of the web panel that I’ve been working on, with the goal of hopefully making the bot easier to configure. It’s definitely not complete, but if you’re interested you can view this here.

10 Likes

thx man u rock!

1 Like

Update: it took 18 days but Catsack is finally verified. you shouldn’t have any issues with inviting anymore.

Just leaving this post here as a temporary notice to anyone who might be trying to add the bot to their server. Catsack is now in 100 servers (woo!) but Discord’s new rules require bots to become verified to join over 100 servers.

Several days ago I started the process of verification but it’s taking Discord a while to respond, so for now you may experience this error when trying to add Catsack to your server. I’m not able to do anything about it, so you’ll just have to wait for Discord to sort the rest of this out.
https://owo.whats-th.is/8ZVbKzw.png

8 Likes

How possible would it be to have a leaderboard implemented that would be just for those in the discord server? I know there’s a overall leaderboard command but I thought it might be neat to be able to have a leaderboard just for friends! I’m enjoying having catsack around so far though. Thanks for your great work!

It’s definitely possible for me to add an option to only show times for people who are in the server, but those people would have to have their Steam accounts linked. I’m a bit busy at the moment but I can add it as soon as I find time :slight_smile:

3 Likes