Can you Private a canvas URL?

Not that I want to private all of the canvas URLs, but some of the images I want to use in my condo are things I or other people I know made as graphic designers. Not the biggest deal if they can’t be cause they’re copy righted, but still a general query for the integrity of original user created art.

1 Like

For safety/reporting reasons you cannot private a canvas URL.

2 Likes

I completely agree with this. In the discussion of this I’ll state that my worries as a person who does graphic design for a living is that art theft is a very real problem. So with the capabilities of people seeing the URL, not only do they have direct access online to the image, but they have the full capabilities to download it and alter it and so on.

Which brings me to the actual conundrum in tower which is that even with players able to see the URL it doesn’t really help reporting a distinct image. With image hosting the same image can be uploaded hundreds of times and have a different URL every time. On top of all that, even if it were private, the developers or admins could still see it anyway. Plus I’ve definitely went into plenty of condos that have had images that would get you banned in almost any game ever. Also you’d have to probably outright ban a user anyway.

Lastly on my part of this discussion is that there’s a work around to block the URL anyway, by putting a clear alpha channel image on a canvas over top of the other image.

2 Likes

I mean, if they really wanted to take the image, they can just grab the URL from the cache or grab the URL from their network packets.

And for reporting super sussy stuff, if there’s something that needs to be reported to the authorities, assuming the offender is reckless enough, having a link could leave a paper trail to the person who is now distributing that material as well as who is hosting it (like if it’s someone hosting an image on Discord then law enforcement can subpoena them for info on who posted the image).

1 Like

Well that’s kind of my point, a very drastic example, although IMO someone doing that in the first place is probably doing nefarious things anyway. Overall It’s not the biggest deal that we can’t private them, but maybe a report button could be added to canvases. Even if they were able to be privated or not this would be useful, just food for thought.

Regardless if they were private admins and devs would still see them.

1 Like

there’s a possible, kinda easy workaround. Put an invisible box around it. You won’t be able to manually select the Canvas in the right click menu to view url, but there may be workarounds to that.

1 Like