Can avatars be square?

would such a heinous act be possible?

after all, what image comes premade in a perfect circle?

1 Like

But I like the circles…

…it keeps continuity.

:wink:

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure they can be, it’s just that the admin has to toggle that setting. (Correct me if I’m wrong.)

1 Like

I think the movement overall to circular avatars is because a lot of them are faces, be them from anime, cartoons, or real life.

3 Likes

I don’t mind circles, but I don’t think that this forum software also has square avatars already built in as a feature that can be activated. I can’t imagine it in a way that it would fit to the theme, unless the corners are rounded. I have yet to see a Discourse forum with square avatars.

1 Like

I like the circular avatars, it’s a nice change from what I usually see

1 Like

(As you can see) I’ve made mind so it looks cool in a circular format. But you can make a edit which has blank spaces around it with a square in the middle

1 Like

funny, I’ve been seeing a crapton of websites using circular avatars now. I can’t think of any examples off the top of my head but I assume it’s because of the recent minimalism craze.

Not that it’s bad or anything. But it’s certainly getting a little old. That, and circular avatars tend to crop out more of the image than they should, unless it was designed with circles in mind in the first place.

1 Like

It’s actually really easy to do it on Discourse forums. All the admin has to do is add a couple of lines of CSS, seen here: https://meta.discourse.org/t/how-to-make-profile-pictures-square/29028

Also, I’m curious: which avatars do you guys prefer?

• Circle avatars
  • Square avatars

0 voters

1 Like

Everything uses circle avatars nowadays.

nooo my legacy

1 Like

It’s squares now. See how you like it. I personally don’t like it.

1 Like

I need a moment to absorb all of this

1 Like

Not really liking it, either.

1 Like

4 minutes of squares. Now over.

1 Like

Man we should do this again next year

6 Likes

1/16 National Square Avatar Day

2 Likes

I’ll remember it like my own birthday

1 Like

Glad I missed that.

1 Like

I guess I should add some sort of secret in the 4 hidden corners of my profile picture if and only if the square avatars will be present every year on the 16th of January…