Boardwalk Carnival Expansion Game Balance/Thoughts

Some thoughts on the games added in the Boardwalk Expansion (0.17.3.0)- but, first, thoughts on Typing Derby.

It probably goes without saying that the disparity is a little odd- the fact that typing derby is all the way over there, and it gives units, rather than tickets. I don’t think this is bad- it’s good to have a means of earning a bit of pure money in the plaza that isn’t tied to a timed minigame. But, I think for the sake of symmetry, there ought to be a few extra games in that area which also give units- Perhaps just some other arcade games, or some otherwise small things. Typing Derby should probably stay the highest paying, but as it stands the typing derby just feels very isolated in its corner over there.
Perhaps the bumper cars would help, or you could put some arcade cabinets in Fresh/Celebrations once those get added.

Milk Jug Toss
It goes without saying if you’ve been watching the area- this is by far the most popular game, and it’s very clear why. To be transparent, this is the game I made this topic for.

It’s easily the best arcade game in terms of time/tokens spent to tickets output. Even if you don’t knock over every milk jug, it’s very easy to consistently earn 500 tickets per play- that would already make it leagues above most arcade games, but it also has the relatively common chance of a 2000 ticket bonus. Now, combine that with the fact that this is the fastest game to enter and complete. It makes playing any other game feel absurdly obsolete.

I’m not saying arcade games must have perfect balance- An inherent part of the arcade experience is that some games are good for ticket grinding. But this is less about Milk Jug being too powerful, and more that other games feel completely unrewarding. Milk Jug requires a few seconds of mild attention to consistently offer 500 tickets, but immediately next door, Super Hoopers requires 45+ seconds of pretty sharp focus, and at best you’re looking at 300-400 tickets on average. I don’t necessarily think super hoopers should have a higher ticket output than Milk Jug, because it’s only a single machine out there, and of course in real life this kind of arcade game isn’t really a big ticket-earner (but then, neither is the milk jug game), but purely in terms of game balance I think the tickets earned should be roughly proportional to the amount of skill involved just for the sake of keeping people playing a variety of games instead of ONLY playing Milk Jug and nothing else.

Roll and Race
So, this one’s ticket output is actually pretty balanced, considering the delay in getting a game. The only problem I really have with it is that- the delay in getting a game. As a game that necessitates multiple players, you’re infrequently going to find players playing it- you kind of need a crowd going to get people playing it multiple times in a row. But, the ticket value compensates for that, so you’ve done well there. My only real comment is that I think it really ought to have a singleplayer mode like Typing Derby does- giving fewer tickets, but just something to get people playing it passively so that one gets the chance to see someone on their own playing it and joining them.

Splash Blasterz
Same as above, more or less.

Balloon Pop
The problem with this game is clear, given its immediate proximity to Milk Jug- It’s a lot slower to hop into, because of that timer to wait for another player. I understand why that timer is there for Splash Blasterz and Roll and Race- not only do they require multiple players, but also playing alone, if possible, would take up eight player slots. But Balloon Pop is essentially a singleplayer game you can happen to play with another person- having the other person there only really detracts from the amount of balloons you can pop. There’s not anything wrong with having that available, but I think Balloon Pop, even without overtaking milk jug in terms of time-input-ticket-output, would be just as popular as it if it also had a singleplayer mode, or some way to just pop in and start a game.

Pluck a Pal
Just one comment- I’m kinda surprised that the emogee plushes aren’t available as prizes in them? Just for the sake of replayability I think it’d be nice to add more plushes to the crane game once in a while, I really enjoyed ‘the hunt’ of getting all the plushes from the crane game.

These are all great suggestions.

We do plan to add more games near the typing derby area, they are just not done yet.

The plan is to add different crane games with different prizes in it. I need to improve the gameplay first.

6 Likes

Oooh, wonderful to know! Thanks for the response!

2 Likes