Apparently GTX 1080 is more powerful than two 980 in SLI

If this truly is the case…
http://img.pandawhale.com/35147-Jim-Carrey-The-Mask-Jaw-Drop-g-2IKH.gif

2 Likes

They’re talking about the 980, not the 980Ti. Two 980Ti-s are probably faster than a 1080.

2 Likes

I’d wait for benchmarks before jumping to conclusions. :wink:

Whooops! That’s what you get for browsing at 3 in the morning :stuck_out_tongue:

Haha, don’t worry! :slight_smile:

But yeah… I’ve been crying all day, I need someone to say that my 980Ti is still a pretty girl… :cry:

It’ll perform just fine for the next year or two.

I’m happy enough with finally having a 980ti. I will run this card until it no longer runs new games on ultra. Excluding ARMA cause those are optimized like crap.

Did you buy an evga 980Ti?

Yep. Evga 980to Hybrid. I love the card, even though I couldn’t use my PC at first since I forgot to upgrade my psu. Whoops.

If you bought it before the 5th you can use their upgrade program to go to the new series.

Whaaaaaat? The 5th of which month. I bought it Around new year’s.

5th of this month :slight_smile:
Check here if you are eligble to do the step up program: http://www.evga.com/support/stepup/

Nope cutoff is on or after 2/8/16.I’ve had this for about 5 months so I’m a bit over 90 days

Damn, I feel sorry for you.

I don’t. I’m more than happy with my card

2 Likes

**2X faster in VR with their rendering optimizations

in reality you’re looking at about a 60% increase in performance from a 980

2 Likes

I don’t understand how they improve this more than normal graphics on a non-VR game. Like do they just do optimisation?

The 980 uses Maxwell architecture, while the 1080 uses Pascal. I’d assume Pascal would be built to be more suited for the purpose of VR.

With Simultaneous Multi-Projection, each eye is split into 4 different viewports, each with its own perspective and angle. When these 4 viewports are combined and viewed through another viewport, it gives the effect of being distorted, ready for the optics in the HMD. It sounds complicated, but the net result is that less of the scene needs to be rendered to fit each eye. The result – a 40-60% increase in VR rendering performance.

1 Like