Anyone else unable to hear voice chat when using Proton?

TU works perfectly through Proton for me, except for voice chat; I am unable to receive voice.
I can still talk and be heard without issue.
I haven’t been able to find any other account of this issue on ProtonDB or elsewhere, so I’m wondering if it’s just me or if this issue has gone undocumented.
I think it’s worth noting that when someone speaks, I don’t even see the voice chat indicator on the HUD or above the player’s head, so I’m completely unaware that they’re speaking at all.

Is this a known issue? Does anyone know if there’s a solution, or where I might start looking to find a solution?
Using Manjaro Linux with Proton 6.12-GE-1, though the issue also occurs with stock Proton versions.

Voice chat works for me on Debian 11 in Proton 6.3-5.

There is a long-standing issue that happens on Windows too where voice chat just decides it’s not going to work like how you described–no audio or on-screen indicators of people talking. It’s possible that you might be experiencing that- though that usually fixes itself after a restart or two, so it also might not be that.

Huh. It’s never worked for me, but hearing that it works on your end does give me hope that this’ll be fixable. Do you know if there are more permanent community solutions to the voice bug on Windows? Might be able to point me in the right direction.

It’s also occurred to me that I upgraded from PulseAudio to PipeWire right before I started playing TU on this machine. It’s mostly stable but has caused audio bugs in one other game I’ve played through Wine, so I’ll test to see if that may be causing the issue.

…alright. Count this one as a meatware problem, because I’m officially an idiot. Voice chat was disabled in my settings.
Don’t know how it happened or why the setting didn’t sync to Windows, and at this point I’m too embarrassed to want to find out.

2 Likes

Dang, I thought about asking about that but thought it’d be too obvious of a solution.