Alter Subway lighting

The new lighting, kinda… doesn’t look like lighting. It looks like an effect put to a recording afterwards.

You can see how the lights lit the space like the did before, but for some reason the whole picture is dark.
It took me some time to reflect on why exactly it feels wrong, and here’s what I think: in this map light is evenly spread everywhere, but it’s evenly dim. It’s not how dim light happens. If the subway is abandoned and has its lights going malfunctioning because of that, the level of lighting the lamps emit should be different all over the place - somewhere brighter and somewhere darker, even fully dark possibly. However, here it looks like they have been artificially carefully spread with soft, low brightness everywhere, which doesn’t feel right.
I also think that the light shift to black and white in the saturation doesn’t do the right thing. Worse lighting doesn’t make things have less color to them, which also feels like rather an artistic effect put on a filmed recording afterwards.
There might be some more things to it which I haven’t figured out yet.
If that would be possible, would be nice to see the lighting actually being redone in better quality, than just having its level simply lowered.

I really like the lighting personally, but the floor seems weirdly dark compared to the walls and ceiling. I think it’d be perfect if the floor tiles were brightened a bit but besides that I don’t mind the change at all; the old lighting just felt extremely dull and boring in comparison, imo

2 Likes

doing new lighting is ok, this exact new lighting just has the flaws I described
it could be way cooler if lamps had different brightness, some could flicker and some could not work at all. That would create way better “atmosphere” imo than just lowering the brightness level for all the lamps equally. makes it feel kinda fake

1 Like

I actually wonder why the lighting should be this dark in the first place considering the subway station looks like it’s all clean, not broken and all. Is there even some logical point to it?