A "This condo contains NSFW content" tick box and filtering system

All right, so clearly NSFW content isn’t going anywhere any time soon, but let’s at least improve it for people who don’t exactly feel like stumbling across it.

So I had an idea: Why not a simple tick box and filtering option?

The tick box would be shown when opening your condo, and would show a popup or tag on the condo list to any joining players that the condo does indeed contain NSFW content.

And to the players who bring up the argument that “nobody would use it” I feel they should be liable.

Walking into a seemingly innocent condo only to be blindsided by horrors forsaken by mankind is far too common of an occurrence to simply sweep under the rug. C’mon, minors play this game too.

We have been improving our canvas filtering systems over the years.

Currently, there’s lots of canvas filters and permission settings for what canvases can load. There’s also parental controls and ways to completely disable canvases, or have canvases only load for friends.

When you join a new condo, it also asks for your permission to load the data. These tools filter out canvas data and protect users and are available right now.

We have been debating about adding a NSFW flag, as its addition could promote and generate more NSFW content. That is why there has been hesitation behind adding it.

Also, with or without a tickbox to mark condos as NSFW, you could encounter a condo that has content you personally may not consider “Safe for Work” or a condo that should have a NSFW tag and does not.

Condos are player hosted and content inside of them can be changed dynamically. Just like all online games, player generated content (chat, voice chat, modifications) may result in unfavorable experiences.

4 Likes

While I agree with most of the arguments, the implementation of a tag probably wouldn’t make it much worse with people promoting the content.

Because in conversations I’ve had with NSFW condo owners, many have said they do it because “it’s just how it is; everybody has a nsfw room, and visitors go in expecting one” like having a nsfw room is some kind of perverse neighborhood ordinance. The normalization is already ever-present.

7 Likes

I think this tag thing could be expanded to other types of condos. So not just NSFW specifically. If you have a chill condo for example, perhaps a chill tag could be used. Or maybe it’s an adventure.

Also, I know you have a system for choosing to load canvases or not, but honestly I just don’t care. I wanna see everything, but it’s a lil tedious to have to keep selecting to allow for individual users.

5 Likes

Yeah absolutely a whole set of tags would be A+.

Psh, I remember when url-based content filtering was added. That did absolutely nothing to solve the issue.