[0.3.4.2] Massive Memory Leaking, during Alt-Tab

Hello, this is my first post in Tower Unite Forums, so I’ll be brief.
Essentially what’s happening:

Steps:

1. Launch game, load into Lobby (Dallas Texas)
  2. Alt-Tab (since I have multi-monitor setup, game is windowed)
  3. Return to the game, (perhaps alt-tab again)
  4. Tower-Unite stops responding, and CPU-usage sky-rockets into the “Danger zone”

After which, causes my CPU to max out and soft-lock.(Screen freezes, but no blue screen or anything)
I’m willing to help anyone here on the development side, confirm the issue and resolve it.

Regardless if TU closes, my computer’s screen still freezes (I assume the application has a memory leak somewhere).

My hunch:
As a C++ developer myself, I’m concerned that it might have something to do with the DirectX 11, and the swapchain resources(assets maybe) being recreated each time there’s an alt-tab. I don’t know much about DirectX since I only use Vulkan, but I’m ready to help you guys in any means.

Thanks for your time development team,
I hope we can solve this issue together.

2 Likes

I have tried to reproduce this many times before and have not been successful.

We don’t believe it has anything to do with Direct X 11. Most likely this is deep within the Unreal engine and not something to do with any of our game code.

As for the memory leak issue, how high does your memory usage get? When loading lobby it should be around 1,800,000 K or less. It will increase a bit when players load in their wearables or you visit new areas.

Thanks Mac, I’ll see if I can get more helpful debug information.

I’ll post a reply if I find anything of use.

Edit:
Um, roughly it sticks around that 1.8 mark. One moment, I’ll try it and edit the post again.

After some attempts to figure out the issue. I came up with a pattern…

It never happens when I’m in the main menu. Might be something related to the loading data.

I’m certain that this issue happens after X amount of seconds has passed, when I initially join. (after the models render).

If I’m not focused on the window during the execution (or loading) of the data, there’s a reoccuring crash.

So I’m guessing it might be during the loading of the programs “local memory?”

Resizing the window (reloading the window resources) doesn’t cause the issue either.

Overall, I think that it might be related to the CPU calculations, and data storage.

If there’s anything else I can do to help, Let me know! :slight_smile:

If there is a reoccurring crash, please make a separate post for that bug and post the crash dump if there is one.
http://forums.pixeltailgames.com/t/how-to-report-crashes/4688

Unfortunately there is no dump file generated.

During the crash, there is a long pause (not responding) then crash.

I’ve checked that directory without any recent crash dumps, (only one there was in June).

[0515/051951:WARNING:raw_channel_win.cc(532)] WriteFile: The pipe is being closed. (0xE8)
[0515/051951:WARNING:channel.cc(359)] RawChannel write error
[0515/051952:WARNING:raw_channel.cc(208)] Shutting down RawChannel with write buffer nonempty
[0515/052006:WARNING:raw_channel.cc(208)] Shutting down RawChannel with write buffer nonempty
[0515/052006:WARNING:raw_channel_win.cc(532)] WriteFile: The pipe is being closed. (0xE8)
[0515/052006:WARNING:channel.cc(359)] RawChannel write error
[0515/052006:WARNING:raw_channel.cc(208)] Shutting down RawChannel with write buffer nonempty
[0515/052007:WARNING:raw_channel.cc(208)] Shutting down RawChannel with write buffer nonempty

Probably stops responding first, before it’s able to produce a crash-log.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.