[0.14.8.0] Lobby Day/Night setting does not persist

I like to play in Always Night mode for the reduced eye strain, and as to not keep myself awake late in to the night as I have to work very early in the morning. Unfortunately, I find I am having to repeatedly set it back to Always Night mode any time I rejoin a server, leave the Nahnia minigame area (Plane Wars/Snowball Battle), or sometimes after leaving a plaza interior, because the setting is not persisting.

Steps to Reproduce

Set Lobby Day/Night to the preferred mode, and try one of the above methods.

What I expected to happen

The normal behavior.

What happened

The issue the bug caused.

Notes / Media

3 Likes

I just want to say that it’s getting really old having to reset this setting every single time I play the game. It’s also frustrating to see the issue has been open for over a year now and still remains unresolved.

When the workaround is to simply reset the setting in the options menu, then the solution must be equally as simple.

It would be nice if we could at least have some acknowledgement that this is being looked into.

1 Like

The solution is actually a little complex. The Plaza is loading things in different ways each time, so it seems like the setting gets overwritten while it’s doing its initial load in. I’ve put in a couple fixes to prevent this setting from not applying on load in, but those seem to not be functional still. The main issue is reproducing this bug, it’s really hard to get it to happen in our dev environments.

I’m very aware of the bug and will continue to look into other ways to resolve it.

2 Likes

The Plaza is loading things in different ways each time

In this case, would it not be feasible to streamline the loading of the plaza in such a way so that things are loaded in a consistent manner and in order each time?

I’ve put in a couple fixes to prevent this setting from not applying on load in, but those seem to not be functional still.

A workaround I might suggest is perhaps waiting until the plaza is fully loaded in, and then simulating a clicking of the Always Night button in the settings menu (or which ever option the player has selected at the time).

Of course despite having some hobbyist background experience in game modding (particularly Doom), I have little understanding as to how Unreal 4 works for a larger project such as Tower. So I am just spitballing here.

But I do understand that race conditions and non-deterministic behaviour are the bane of programmers everywhere.

Things are loaded asynchronously. Changing this would completely slow down the load in process and also is not something that you can just switch off.

There is not always a way to know when the client has it fully loaded in.