[0.14.4.0] Item Scaling Desync between server, clients, rounding bug?

The scaling of objects seems to not replicate correctly between client and server, mostly happening for new clients who join after items are scaled.

I was told by someone that it is apparently rounding it up to the nearest .1, which seems to be the case considering the amount of distance between the top of the doors pictured and bottom of the canvas wall pictured seems to be the same for me when I set it as 1.5 as what it appears for others who join after the scaling of the door to 1.5095 is done.

From what I know, this does not happen with canvases or canvas walls, just other items. I know of doors being one issue.

Steps to Reproduce

1. Have a friend on the server with you
  2. Place down a door
  3. Resize it to a value such as 1.5095 or something
  4. Place a canvas wall directly ontop of the door
  5. Observe that the wall looks flush with the door top for both players
  6. Have another friend join
  7. Have the friend observe

What I expected to happen

The wall should look flush for the new player aswell.

What happened

For the friend joining, there is a gap between the top of the door and the bottom of the canvas wall.

Notes / Media

Screenshot from my screen:

Screenshot from a friend’s screen:

As you can see, there’s a small gap between these which is not visible on my own screen, this is in my condo.

But if I change the size to 1.5 and back to 1.5095, it updates for the friend and they are able to see it just fine.

5 Likes

This has been an issue for some time, and it’s made co-op building very frustrating, the more complex our builds get.

2 Likes

i’ve had this happen with a canvas teleporter once i believe… i ended up joining one of my friends who had a canvas teleporter on their wall and on their screen it was completely fine, but on mine it was z-fighting with the wall horrendously…

1 Like

This happens all the time for me, with canvas teleporters being inconsistent, but thats with placement and not scaling I think.

Unreal networking rounds scales of items. Canvas doesn’t have this issue because we network the scale ourselves for it. We can look into resolving this soon.

4 Likes

We are getting close to resolving this issue. We’re gonna write our own networking to resolve this.

4 Likes

This should be a thing of the past after update 0.15.0.0.

4 Likes

Except for it’s not