[0.13.4.2] Cat Sacks unopenable

I have been trying to open and use my regular catsacks inside my condo and am unable to open them.

Steps to Reproduce

Any attempt to open cat sacks or sell them

What I expected to happen

The catsack to open or sell as per expected result.

What happened

Catsack did not open or sell when attempting to do either of these actions.
(Pressed E to open and got the audible click noise as per the action but no result)
When attempting to sell error message is generated in corner of screen saying "failed to sell)

Notes / Media

I have seen my friend open catsacks in her condo. This bug personally only relates to the classic catsacks, as both the silver and gold catsacks are able to be opened. I have attempted this in different condos of mine, (resort, house, flat, etc) and all have been unsuccessful.

Please see below the Video of this being attempted.

Please don’t hesitate to ask me for further info or attempts in different settings :slight_smile:

1 Like

Were these catsacks obtained from the Spin to Win?

1 Like

to be honest i’m not entirely sure if some were, however I have since bought some and they werent ablw to be opened.

I bet theses are from spin to win, and yeah, you can’t sell them, you can’t open them apparently.

What makes the spin to win catsacks any different?

I can’t remember, did old cat sacks from GMT transfer over by any chance and if so could this be the cause of a potential bug too?

Catsacks tagged with “Not in Stores/Special” comes from Spin to Win, as a stack of 5 catsacks, none of them can be open or sold, but can still be stashed.
I also tried with regular catsacks from the Stray, these doesn’t have the “Not in Stores/Special” tag and works as they should.

Take a look.

2 Likes

No items from GMT are added to your TU inventory during the transfer, all items are converted to Units. There’s a classic catsack item that you got if you played GMT for 10 hours, I think, but it’s just a decoration item and not openable

1 Like

Just looked over the Spin to Win code and also won the catsacks from there myself last night. I was given the correct catsacks that aren’t marked Not In Store. I assume you won these some time ago?

1 Like

We looked over at the inventory of users and found some got the old catsack item, which isn’t redeemable anymore. I’ve added some changes to the backend to prevent it from happening and we’re gonna write a quick script to swap the items automatically for people who got the wrong ones.

3 Likes

I have fixed the 5 broken catsacks in your inventory.

2 Likes

awesome! thanks for figuring it out! I love how on the ball you guys are with fixing things :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you.

I won these 5 catsacks from Spin to Win back in 2020 i think.

The five broken catsacks were added to your account back in 2018.

Oh well, the last time I do remember earning catsacks from Spin to Win was in 2020, but okay, I just couldn’t remember 2018.

To really prevent any confusion, I renamed the unredeemable catsacks to Unredeemable Catsack. No one should have the item anymore, but it’s just in case someone does we can quickly resolve it.

2 Likes

Also the technical reason behind this was that when we made the items - our first item was the Catsack. We used ID 0, because most software code starts with 0 as the first index for its arrays. A year into development, Valve informed us that we should not have been using index 0 (even though it totally worked fine) and that items should start at 1. So we deprecated Catsack 0.

1 Like