What do you want Accelerate to be?

Since the team has said that they don’t want to be too close to Mario Kart in GMT, what would be the best way of going through with it?[poll public=true]

• Burnout Style
  • F-Zero Style
  • Similar to Mario Kart
  • Other (talk about it in the replies!)
    [/poll]

These options or what I think would be nice substitutes to the arcade game mode in a way to make it more fun, that’s just my opinion so don’t be afraid to talk about it!

I’d practically have karts, but not going in the way of Mario Kart. Because as @MacDGuy Said, we wouldn’t want Accelerate to be a Mario Kart Clone, if that is what he said.

There are other kart racers that are interesting to look at. Like Lego Racers 2, that had cars that didn’t resemble karts. They had vehicles based on Lego Sets for example:

This is based on a set from 2000:

Car is in the top right.

I would of course have weapons returning from GMT like the blob and the rockets, but I would like to see other things as well, like customising your kart, Colour, Chassis and wheels, but that will be more like Mario Kart.

I’ll think of more ideas later.

I want it to be good

And I trust it will be

4 Likes

If there was an option of Sonic and sega all stars racing transformed or Little big planet karting i would go for it

I would not go with mario kart because i haven’t played any mario kart (actually i haven’t played any mario game and i think i won’t)

1 Like

Accelerate can be similar to Mario Kart but it doesn’t have to be a clone. The thing that I would really change about Source Karts though is drifting and car control. I haven’t ever played F-zero or Burnout so I wouldn’t know how those work.

F-zero is a bit too fast for your casual player if you ask me, it requires lightning-fast reflexes. “Kart” type games are much more relaxed usually. Since Accelerate is Source Karts’ official successor, we shouldn’t expect it to be too different. We can safely assume that there will be powerups and a drifting system just as SK had, but as for gameplay feel, we’ll just have to wait and see.

like Mario kart but actually fair (no bonuses for losing players/penalties for winning ones)

2 Likes

I am guessing that it will have more realistic driving physics than previous and have more gravity mechanics. May have less reliability on power ups and weird drifting physics. I am making these assumptions based off of the trailers for source karts, the kickstarter trailer, and the ancient livestreams from before the game came out. The only problem with this gamemode… Keyboard controls…

I know the majority is currently voting for Mario Kart style.

Here’s the deal about that: we aren’t interested in doing Mario Kart style gameplay. It limits us too much and our game will always be compared to Mario Kart. It’ll always feel like “wow, wish we could be playing Mario Kart right now” instead of “wow, this is really cool!”

21 Likes

That’s actually a pretty good point, Mac. Thanks for clearing it up for me (since I was having a few doubts about it) and hope that whatever idea you settle on with Accelerate is a fun gamemode like any other one!

Makes sense, after all, source karts was kinda unoriginal. At least I thought it was

i just want it to be awesome
and that’s all i expect from it really

Maybe have a style similar to Mod Nation Racers.
I have always found that more Enjoyable then Mario Kart. [ Although, it is similar ]

A racing game you could base it off of, if you have it would be something similar to Split second, where much of the race is based upon you making good drifts around corners to increased a meter which when full can alter the course to cut off or destroy players.

Just me rambling though.

If Accelerate has power ups then they could use a different system for using or acquiring those power ups. In lego racers you could upgrade power ups with white blocks and in Team losi rc racer(ps1) you had to combine colours by going through coloured arches/hoops to get power ups.

Going off of the devs wish to not make a mario kart clone, would power ups even be available to begin with? I don’t think they’re necessary, and in some cases they can be more annoying than fun to begin with. They tend to make some games seem more focused on luck instead of skill.

If the game takes a more arcade racing-like approach, some sort of boost system would suffice. It could also tie in with a suggestion I saw a while ago, where your placement in the race could effect how much boost power you get when passing checkpoints. This would be a fine replacement for the notion that items and weapons can help someone in last place catch up, if necessary.

If powerups ARE desired, obviously balance is key - no blue shells, and certainly no warping items, such as what Lego Racers or Little Big Planet Karting have. A personal preference of mine would to have the weaponry affect physics of cars, rather than play a “spinning out” or “flipping” animation like mario kart. A great example of this would be in Re-Volt, one of the best racing games of all time IMO, in which physics can actually add a random element to rockets - sometimes they completely knock out cars, and sometimes they just flip them over or miss completely, only slowing them down a tad.

Overall I just want it to be fun. I don’t really care what’s done with it, the only necessity I can think of is buttery smooth controls. Also, different camera angles would be nice.

4 Likes

Good.
I want it to be good.

[quote=“Inferno_Shadowclaw, post:14, topic:18747”]
If Accelerate has power ups then they could use a different system for using or acquiring those power ups. In lego racers you could upgrade power ups with white blocks.[/quote]

Here is an example of how the Lego Racers powerups work. I have a Table right here.

You would be right but you get the best weapons the lower down you are. In Lego Racers however, if you get warp in first, it would make the game unfair.

2 Likes

RC car racing would be good

I feel like a racer with a good rubber banding mechanic could be entertaining for casual play. Something that would allow for racers to often be neck-a-neck in close quarter situations. Then, to make those close encounters interesting, you could allow the players to knock each other around using spin attacks or short boosts.
Of course, you would need a mechanic that would reward the more skillful players. Maybe something similar to Sonic All Stars where drifts are rewarded with more and more powerful boosts based on how long you hold the drift.

Power-ups are not really necessary unless you want to add random luck into the mix.

It should play like Mario Kart, have some of the Gmod tower maps, and have power-ups like Mario Kart but from other TU minigames (TNT from Virus = Banana Peel, Adrenaline from Virus = Mushroom, Planet Panic Ship = Bullet Bill, Ball From Ball Race = Starman (You could even use the player’s Ball customization if they ever added it back from Gmod Tower)).