The new Lobby 1 Suite HD Remaster just grinds me gears to oblivion

I was rewatching the new stream since I missed it when it first came on, forgot it was Friday. And after seeing the new suite, I can’t help but feel let down. I expected a 1:1 replica of suite 1 when my friend said, “they have added lobby 1 suite back” just with remade HD textures and models. I didn’t expect this.

Honestly, I’m not trying to sound like an asshat here when I say that this was basically the unveil for me.

As someone who is an absolute fan of interior design, many things here grind my gears.

The kitchen. Who said it was a good idea to have those cupboards, let alone that backsplash.

Now when you compare the two, the first suite at least has an ongoing theme. There isn’t anything that clashes with anything. In the new condo, you look at the kitchen and you get this.

Look, an amazing modern kitchen, and then you look at the right picture and you see that. First of all, the counters, they look so thin. Hell, a cutting board will take up the width of that counter. The backsplash and the cupboards just don’t go well with the bottom half of the kitchen, it’s like someone gave up with updating their kitchen half way and called it a day. I don’t mean to sound so hostile and like such a pain in the ass with me throwing my opinions left and right without any actual proper constructive criticism, but this actually frustrates me. If you have an eye for interior design like me (or maybe I don’t and I’m actually just stupid) then you’ll be able to see why this doesn’t work. I can’t say much else other than that it just, it clashes way too much. And come on, why have the fridge there with nothing in that corner, the fridge was made to be there. I can’t believe I’m getting so worked up over the kitchen alone.

Now moving onto the booth, what is that.

You can’t possibly say that the inner booth looks better than the one from lobby 1. So you’re telling me that you’re supposed to eat off of that. You’ll be slouching over, rather than the lobby 1 suite, it’s just an actual table. It’s functional. It works.

All in all, I’m seriously frustrated with what they’ve done, and I know I’m gonna be getting quite some looks from the devs for making this post. But they’ve just gone too far with this in my opinion. Hell, the original suite didn’t even have a vaulted ceiling, regardless of whether it felt cramped or not, this just isn’t suite 1 anymore. What I feel they should have done is just ported in suite 1, and then built on top of that, using the port as a template. All they needed to do was update the textures and models to be more high res, nothing more. They’ve killed the vibe suite 1 had and that upsets me. I honestly feel that the only things that both of these have in common is the layout, and the wall and floor textures. That’s it. I know, I’m an asshole for providing an opinion without any actual say on how to fix any of this, but come on.

So, now that I’ve gotten that rant out of the way, what are your opinions. I mean, I can’t be the only one that feels this way, right?

9 Likes

i think it looks pretty good.

31 Likes

I like the redesign. The kitchen ticks me off a bit, counters being a tad too small and the cabinets being a different color is a big thing that needs to be changed. I am very happy that it is more open, the original felt very cramped. Also, redesign, not source dinginess everywhere, hooray!
I like it a lot its neat

8 Likes
13 Likes

I think it’s O.K. I don’t see anything wrong with it, personally. It fits with the rest of the game.

2 Likes

the only thing that triggers me are the cupboards

5 Likes

We’re not trying to recreate the Lobby 1 suite 1:1.

It’s also: not done. Mr. Sunabouzu mentioned on the stream he has like 2 weeks more dev time on it left to do.

15 Likes

Well you did a very bad job of doing that.

2 Likes

In general though I’m overjoyed to hear Lobby 1’s condo is getting remade for TU, and I’d prefer if it wasn’t a 1:1 but a TU styled version of it, much like how Lobby 2 is the base for the current lobby, but gets better and changes with every update.

Hell there’s already a person that uses canvases and has made a very faithful recreation of both lobby 1 and it’s condo, so I’m happy regardless.

3 Likes

are you sure you want that

I feel like the amount of overhead cabinets is a bit overdoing it, especially if the whole inner island is cabinets. The old feel of an open topped area seems better in my opinion.

6 Likes

I am kinda bothered by that massive cupboard parade going on there (it doesn’t look really good), and by the positioning of that table, but that is pretty much it, otherwise it looks amazing. Infact what they have done better this time is the size, the first floor felt ridiculously narrow and cramped especially if you had a lot of stuff. They fixed it this time.

2 Likes

I’d like an opened top area for the cabinet place :neutral_face:

1 Like

literally the only problem i have is that the cupboards dont match the wood of the counters underneath.
but here, you’ve gone a bit too much.

As cool as the remake is, I do prefer the original suite perhaps for the sole reason that it’s from Lobby One. Also, the elements you pointed out I do understand and agree with.

Here’s my take on it: I’ll wait until Workshop support comes around and enables us to have an exact replica of the Lobby One suites with the original textures, and perhaps a port of the original Lobby One as well. Though, it’s a shame the vanilla game deviated so much from the original…

1 Like

Porting means that you make something compatible and usable with something else. You heard of all the GMod car addons using ported cars? Those are from different games with a different game engine.

1 Like

I wasn’t there at the time of Lobby 1 but just comparing both Condos convinces me that the redesign is better, it feels less bland and old and out of place than the GMT one? (i mean seriously wtf is that GMT fish tank and that kitchen ceiling)
You just need to get out of your nostalgia bubble because honestly if they just made the Condo with the exact same details/textures than in GMT I’d be quite disappointed… idk just throwing my 2 cents out there

The fish tank was fine, it just looks a bit weird because of the angle and distance the screenshot was taken at.
However the fishes were quite laggy and buggy, because everything was being stuffed into one server so the server just couldn’t care less about simulating fishes swimming.

1 Like

I would like to say that I was really pissed off last night, not due to the new Suite, just something else, that went on for a few hours at least. Lesson learned, don’t post when you’re irrationally pissed off. But even then, I still feel like most of the points I’ve made stand, and this post was simply for my opinion, no need to get your panties in a knot.

1 Like

http://forums.pixeltailgames.com/t/psa-for-any-would-be-non-constructive-posters/12673

10 Likes