Sweet Tooth Megathread (Feedback, Discussion, Difficulty)

So, with the release of a new map I find it appropriate to make a thread for Steffen to collect feedback from! So, here is just that. Feel free to post feedback on the map, report some minor bugs (I’d say major bugs should still go into the Bug Reports section), or just discuss the course with others!

To help assist Steffen in deciding on the difficulty of the course, please select on if you have played the course before.
Also, it is highly recommended that you play the map for a second time since the course is naturally harder on your first play.

• Easy
  • Medium
  • Hard

0 voters

3 Likes

The difficulty is just fine, once you know the power to use and some first shot’s angle, it becomes a routine, even though I’m pretty surprised with the creativity of the holes as well as the use of boosters and timing based holes,
On a personal note, The world design is really neat too, I must congratulate Krionikal and steff on their work, it’s a really nice looking map

1 Like

This map should, indeed, be tagged as Hard, instead of Altitude.
While Altitude can be a bit confusing at times, this only lasts for the first few playthroughs, and isn’t as punishing as ST where you can just get OOB if you’re not lucky (I’m thinking about that hole where a first hole splits into 5 smaller ones, and 1 (2?) of them drops the player in the water). I’d also mention that some obstacles can be harder to deal with even with practice than in most other maps but maybe I’m exaggerating a bit, these are my first thoughts fresh out of my 2nd playthrough :x

2 Likes

This is gonna be pretty harsh, but I think the map isn’t just hard, it’s also bad.

Cons:

• Extremely convoluted. I know this map was going to be a departure of traditional design, and I think it didn’t pay off. A lot of my friend and I got annoyed after we got passed an initial gimmick, like a swirling whole, a loop, or branching pipes, and found that there would still be at least 4 or 5 strokes of course left in a hole. It was tiring.
  • Too many gimmicks based on luck.
  • Disappearing walls are one of my least favorite obstacles and this map had it in spades, not just as obstacles, but as parts of the map that you HAVE to bounce off.
  • Had many instances where we phased through through loops, giving us OB.
  • Swirling vortexes are too similar in appearance to the water hazards we’re supposed to be avoiding.
  • I played with a group of four friends and we were all dying of laughter at the length of the last hole, giving us a grand tour of the suffering we just went through to an anticlimactic end.

Pros:
+It’s really pretty.

I think Treasure Cove was easily the best map so far and this one is easily the worst. I don’t think it’s fun at all. That’s my take anyway, some people seem to enjoy it.

4 Likes

Reminder that this map just got released and needs tweaking tho

4 Likes

I agree, this needs to be hard, some of the courses are annoying, and some aren’t even right pars.

And besides, didn’t someone say in the stream showcasing it, Hardest course yet?

1 Like

It’s the prettiest map but also the least fun

2 Likes

Can I get specifics on which courses you find annoying?

Well courses like:

Hole 4: I can’t get into the other holes, just the middle

Hole 15: there was this one time where the loop glitched out, happened on hole 18 as well.

Most of the time it’s bugs. Overall the courses were done very well. I love that chocolate river.

1 Like

it needs some course changes like a general rule to avoid using the arrows as it makes it generally confusing

hole 18 really needs to get rid of that long pointless path that takes you to the hole (or shorten it)

otherwise its a good map

1 Like

I played the map for the first time today and this was how i did

Maybe it was just beginners luck but i think the difficulty tag is fine as it is.

2 Likes

I want to start off by saying this map is brilliant in terms of design choice.
The level design takes full advantage over the fact that this is not real life minigolf. Other courses have gimmicks that are not possible such as teleporting, flying, cannons, etc. But this map takes basic minigolf design to its limit by just creating wacky, large, impossible levels. There are some areas where the level needs fixing in terms of OOB bugs, good par listings, and maybe toning down on some of the luck elements, but this course takes classic minigolf and tries to make it as over the top as possible. I think it was really ambitious, and I think that for the most part it paid off.

Now in terms of difficulty, this level is very hard. From the precise shots to the angled ricochets, it is very difficult to actually land where you want to. It will take a while, but after time people will think of incredible ways to make the level seem like a piece of cake. At one point, I thought Midori was impossible to beat, but now we all know it just takes some time and practice. Eventually people will learn the ins and outs of Sweet Tooth and we’ll see a lot more appreciation for the design choices.

5 Likes

Changed my vote from hard to medium, since the course itself isn’t too hard; it’s just that on a good chunk of the holes, if you go the “wrong” route, your score plummets. If the pars are revised, I’d probably say to go with “medium,” but if they’re kept as-is, it’d be better rated as “hard.”

Also, on hole 12, the wall around the hole should be higher, since the route to the HiO (even if you’re going as slow as possible) makes you jump off of the back of the hole and out of bounds.

Visually it’s very messy and no real clear direction to go on some of the holes.

Sweet thooth isn’t hard…

Sweet tooth is http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/geometry-dash/images/d/db/Harder.png/revision/latest?cb=20150926204553

That’s a lot of dots.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I love Sweet Tooth. I think steffen did a really good job on it overall, and the quality of everything is quite nice. With that said, I think where he got a bit iffy on is Level Design. It’s very unclear on which direction, hole, or platform you’re supposed to be on. It feels too grainy due to the intense amount of colors and different models put everywhere. It makes it much harder to play with how messy the level is. It’s also really buggy (but on-stream they stated a patch will be released for it soon, so no problem with that). I really feel he just messed up when it comes to designing the level overall, not taking into account how messy it appears to some. The level at the end I feel to be alright, it’s nice to be able to trek all around the map into a nice finish, but the issue I had is that it wasn’t a nice finish. You simply bounced off of an angled wall and fell into the hole. No cool ending, or really anything to account for that 2-minute buildup. Seemed very… empty. I love how unique the map is and how much it feels original, and don’t get me wrong I love the map, I just feel people are taking these things a bit too harshly and calling the map bad for it. At least in my mind, it isn’t a bad map. Not at all. It just could’ve had a few different design choices to make it more easier as a minigolf map. Soooo… with that said, I just feel like some stuff should be changed in terms of the map being messy and I think that would improve the gameplay overall by a lot (and do something at the end of the final hole).

EDIT: Wow i just realized how repetitive that message was. Here’s a TL;DR

• Make the map less visually messy
  • Make where you’re going to go more apparent (and not just putting arrows everywhere, that would be pretty boring)
  • Fix up the final hole to have something cool to show

Sweet Tooth has been changed in update 0.1.9.0! Numerous changes have been made the make the entire course easier. Remember that you are able to change your vote on the poll! So if you have already voted before the patch, I’d recommend playing the new version and adjusting your vote. In-addition to this, again feel free to give feedback on the course and it’s newly made changes.

Here is a link to the updates page for 0.1.9.0, where you can find a list of all the course changes.

1 Like

There shouldn’t be pipes that put you in the water. I thought that they were going to remove that.

I assume you are talking about the “chocolate roulette” hole. That is the point of the hole. You have the option of opting out and taking one of the side paths. But, if you want to gamble for the hole-in-one, you have the option of playing chocolate roulette. Being dumped into a death most chocolate is still a possibility of playing this dangerous game.

5 Likes