Some criticism on Tower Unite

I’ll get straight to the point. I love Tower Unite, and see some big potential for it. Heck, I already have 105 hours in it. However, from playing both GMod Tower and Tower Unite, there are some things that I feel are “missing” from Tower Unite that made GMod Tower really amazing and special.

1st thing I feel there is a lack of is player customization. It’s true there are items for this, but there are a few flaws in this. The items don’t always “work” on the player models we have currently. A lot of times the items we are able to equip will clip the player model depending on the item. For the milk carton, many of these items clip the player model. I would think there should be a way to resize, rotate, and move items on a character to fit them better. Another thing is the lack of player models. We currently only have 4 at the moment, and you cannot change their hair style, how they physically look, etc. Another problem is the walk cycles. All 3 player models besides the milk carton have the same walk cycle. I would ask if we could have more player models to change this for the better, along with different walk cycles players can select from.

2nd thing is that there is not enough community expression. I feel as if that the developers of Tower Unite have neglected to see that one of the big reasons that made GMod Tower as popular as it was, was the way players and the community could express themselves in-game. This was satiated by players using an in-game emote system and whacky player customizations. Of course, if you check the trello you’d see that this is confirmed, but with no release date. I would ask if this could be bumped up further to release if possible.

Finally, I think that there should be a more emphasis on player interactivity. Such as when a player interacts with various items, they would play a small audio cue or animation. I would think this would bring more life into the Tower Unite world.
This might seem like petty suggestions that really don’t have a big impact in the game, but I digress. I feel that these things would “spruce” the game up and make it more fun and enjoyable for people to play, while still keeping the core game. Thank you for taking the time to read what I had to say.

Edit: I have just watched the stream and have retracted my statement on animations. They look really good!

a lot of this is planned and is on the trello page

The workshop will allow you to use custom playermodels
https://trello.com/c/16uWZvvd/107-workshop-support

Emote system is planned
https://trello.com/c/LF4zrMOT/170-player-emote-system

Plaza events will bring the community together for special minigames for units in the main lobby
https://trello.com/c/am2rQHvU/294-plaza-events

1 Like

The Workshop I believe is only for custom content which I have no clue how that will work. Whether it simply does not show up if you do not have it downloaded, it it shows up as some sort of error, I don’t know.

Yes, I know the emote system IS planned, however, there is no confirmed release date.

And yes, Plaza events are going to be implemented, but that is not what I was referring to. I was referring to small things, such as a garbage can that has a sound when it opens, or if you interact with an item in the shop, it would make a small noise.

1 Like

the workshop will allow custom playermodels as said in previous livestreams :slight_smile:

What I’m asking is, how will custom content WORK though? Will it be managed and be able to be bought in the store? Will people be able to make them, and show them in-game? And if it’s option #2: What is a way they will prevent NSFW player models?

you will have to subscribe to playermodels on the workshop in order to use them, and iirc you will have the ability to only have subscribed playermodels show up or just turn off all custom ones

Imo, that would be redundant. What if you want to show off your playermodel? You’d have to have tons of players download the player-model you equip, which is extremely unlikely, unless it was very popular, making it useless. That’s why I think there should be both a variety of models to buy in the shop and not limited to just the 4, and content you can download off the workshop

2 Likes

I agree with what you’re saying. Maybe once a month they can look in the workshop and choose original playermodels to be purchasable in game (with the uploader’s permission of course)
Having to download all of the playermodels every time you join a server would get pretty annoying after a while.

Yeah, I think that would be suitable

The emotes were planned to be worked on after the new animation locomotion set was finished. Since the set is finished, the player emotes will start to be made.

We never neglected this part of the game, but we prioritized gameplay over emotes as we felt that spending time making dancing animations for a game that has no actual game would be counterproductive.

It’s set to “no release date” because we cannot give a good estimate for the release date at the moment. Items in that section on Trello could happen at any point in time during development, not super later in development. It doesn’t have super low priority, either. We definitely know how much people want them.

As of now, our plan is this:

Custom player models:

• will be automatically downloaded for you (you do not need to be subscribed before hand)
  • can be turned off at any point
  • can also not be automatically downloaded and you can manually subscribe
  • can be filtered out by tags (i.e human, non-human, etc.) and will be appropriately tagged
  • cannot have NSFW content as it is against Steam Workshop rules and will be removed
  • can also be filtered out by their upload date, so if you’re worried about seeing something NSFW, you can filter out brand new workshop items to avoid that before we get to them
  • will not be in stores to be unlocked, they will be free
  • cannot be used in competitive Game Worlds (ie. Virus, SDNL, etc.)

This is all subject to change, but this has been our plans internally for months now.

6 Likes

Ah, gotcha. Thanks for responding!

3 Likes

Another thing is that when the game’s early pre alpha (0.0.2) there was a lot of interactive stupid crap, there is just seemingly less of it because it’s REALLLLY low on the list

We didn’t remove that stuff, though, and we are adding more things.