[Mini-Golf] Additional units gain suggestions

Hi,

currently, the units you win during mini-golf games are from the strokes you score for each level.

I would suggest to add several sources of earning units during a mini-golf game. I won’t put the units count suggestions to avoid a debate on the amount of the bonuses rather than the bonuses themselves.
I’ll number them for people to discuss it if you’d like to agree/disagree and suggest additional ideas:

1/ “Complete course bonus”
This bonus is earned when you complete a mini-golf game from the 1st hole to the last.

2/ “Under global Par”
This bonus is earned when your total score goes below the global par of the golf course. Either it’s a fixed bonus alone, or it’s a fixed bonus + an additional bonus per stroke under par, which I like very much.

3/ “1st place” (>2 players)
This bonus is earned by getting 1st place on a course. I’d suggest to set it up only from 3 players to set it at a reasonable amount.

4/ “Par/Under par incremental bonus”
This small incremental bonus is earned when you manage to complete holes on par or under par successively. This is meant to improve the challenge experience by rewarding the player when he gets consistent in his hole scores.

5/ “1st to end the hole”
This bonus is earned by finishing the hole first. I believe it’s a great addition, specially when several people are about to end a hole. I’d suggest it to be a modest amount.

Please let me know what you think :slight_smile:

I kinda love and hate this idea, mostly because since there wasn’t a reward for being first, it helped ease the amount of salt experienced during a game of minigolf, but being rewarded for skilled play sounds really nice. Perhaps add bonuses for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th and below, like most other games in TU.

Not sure about the others, but this is a definite yes from me. Good incentive for players to stay until the end.

4 Likes

I do not like the idea of getting a bonus of getting in the hole first. That encourages racing, and not accuracy. It could turn new players off from the game from trying to get in first.
Everything else I’d be fine with, though. However, I do feel the current payouts are great anyways.

4 Likes

Could players exploit this by joining late? If not, then would this only apply to players who were participating from the very beginning?

Perhaps add bonuses for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th and below, like most other games in TU.

That would make sense indeed. Definitely agree with you.

I do not like the idea of getting a bonus of getting in the hole first. That encourages racing, and not accuracy. It could turn new players off from the game from trying to get in first.

Well, that’s why I suggested the amount to be small. If a a par is 300 and a bogey is 200, I’d suggest the first to finish the hole to get lower than 100 units. Something like 50 sounds reasonable.
To give a bit more background, It follows the same logic than Ball racing in which you could finish the race with the ranking below the one you’re aiming at if you take the time to take a whole watermelon. Each ranking in Ball race is 200 incremental (except 1st place which is +250) and 1 whole watermelon worth 200.
Here, if everyone aims for a hole and get par (all of them), it would be logical to give a small incentive to the 1st one who got par, don’t you think?

However, I do feel the current payouts are great anyways.

I feel the Minigolf payouts are slightly below average compared to the other games, in terms of minutes played/rewards. I don’t have access to this data though so it’s purely subjective :grin:

Could players exploit this by joining late? If not, then would this only apply to players who were participating from the very beginning?

That’s a very good point. You’d basically give free units to someone playing alone with a 2nd player joining right before he finished the hole. Considering the amount is small, I wouldn’t see it as a huge deal though.

P.S.: May I ask you how you quote using the person’s nickname? I didn’t get it right :slight_smile:

Yes, it would ideally be for players who complete the 1st all the way to the 18th hole.

As an additional payout to Minigolf, I don’t think it should be included (the reasons already given by c_gen), but I personally think that changing the goal from least strokes to first in hole would make for a very interesting mutator.

Oh my god, I forgot about mutators! I would definitely love that implemented as a mutator, I think that could be quite fun, actually.