>mfw mac says to not use their assets

So for the last 2 days, I’ve been attempting to recreate the bumper from Ballrace, as Mac said to not use their assets. Well, what better way to circumvent that than to do an entire recreation. Best part of this is though, this might have awakened something in me. Before this, I’ve never done a true modelling project like this, and I’ve never really taken an interest towards 3D modelling. This wasn’t an unbearable thing for me to do, it was something that was actually kind of fun for me. Sure, it’s a pain in the ass when it comes to doing things for Source, but man. Seeing the final result makes me excited.

So I present to you, 2 days of bumper development (because I’m a shitty modeler apparently)

And the final result. It still needs a few tweaks here and there, but I like how it came out.

Also, this is the epitome of “don’t hire me”

Edit: Also if anyone has any ideas on how I should tweak it, that would be great, thanks!

12 Likes

i want this in my condos

1 Like

nice file names

1 Like

If you’re just recreating the model that looks 1:1 as the original, then you’re not circumventing copyright here.

13 Likes

Yeah, what Mac said. Remaking something 1:1 doesn’t stop you from infringing copyright.

It’s good practice to recreate things from reference, so long as you don’t distribute it to others and claim it as your own… because it still is a 1:1 model and the bumper model still does belong to pixeltail. So seriously, dont do that. other than that, it looks really nice if this is the first 3d model you made.

2 Likes

Alright, so if I just recreate the assets, but in my own design and tastes, we won’t have any problems?

Don’t worry, I’m way ahead of you. :wink:

5 Likes

As long as the assets you create are noticeably different than Pixeltail’s, yes

2 Likes

Thing is, isn’t the bumper model that Pixeltail made really similar to the bumpers from super monkey ball? I don’t really know much about copyright law, but would Pixeltail’s GMT bumper be similar enough to the ones from monkey ball that whoever owns the rights to that series could sue? Just curious, sorry if I sound really dumb.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’m not really sure if anyone from Pixeltail can sue someone for remaking monkey ball if they’re not literally ripping models/textures and whatnot from Tower. I’m not a lawyer, but that’s just my 2 cents.

2 Likes

Our bumper is different enough from Super Monkey Ball, in my opinion.

Eitherway, I was stating that doing a 1:1 recreation is not circumventing anything. Stating that you are trying to circumvent recreation of Ball Race comes off as pretty rude. That’s all.

2 Likes

After careful consideration, I’ve decided that I’m going to lock this thread and any applicable future thread relating to recreation of our games.

These types of threads only create drama.

Creating personal projects for learning is totally fine, but stating that you are trying to circumvent developer wishes on our own forums goes against what I find as decent content.

It leaves an impression that warnings are baseless and exploitable, when in fact, this is a forum for healthy discussion.

I’d like to take this moment to explain that this choice I’ve made is made with good intentions and is not meant to be taken personally.

If you wish you talk to me more about this issue, please send me a PM.

Thank you.

4 Likes