Metal Melon Bowling, BALLista, Penalty Shootout Arena

This community showcase submission demonstrates the aesthetic and purpose of two condo based ball games, along with the functionality of the BALLista, a means of randomly choosing which player starts with the ball.

Penalty Shootout Arena

The arena has a simple design with a focus on counteracting the current lack of precision that exists when attempting to aim and kick a ball. It features a surrounding barrier, corner ramps (to prevent the ball from becoming stuck and to also allow for more strategic shots), a seating area, the BALLista, and a central barrier that divides the players.

The central barrier acts similarly to the barrier featured in Table Hockey, allowing for gameplay to focus on uninterrupted penalty style shots and the defense of the opposition.

BALLista

The BALLista is a device centered to the arena consisting of a wooden ship wheel, a number of wooden panels acting as a chamber, and a vertically flipped trampoline. A ball is inserted into the chamber of the BALLista, and the positioning of the wheel is tapped into a preferred location.

When ready to launch, the user spins the wheel and allows the ball to gain momentum. The results are heavily varied allowing the BALLista to act as an RNG dictator of which player in the arena gets to start the round with the ball. Sometimes the shots are gently passed to a player, in other cases the ball is violently launched off the trampoline into a preset target that allows the ball to land in the arena.

Crab Mohammad powers the BALLista’s lighting with his golden waffle and flaming head.

Metal Melon Bowling

A fantastic gamemode I have discovered upon testing with friends is Metal Melon Bowling. This gamemode is a lot of fun, and requires a metal melon, a beachball, a bowler, and a player with good balance.

The beachball after the latest update is surprisingly smooth to balance upon, a player can stand on the beachball and even if it is hit and the ball starts spinning, it is possible for a player to hang on for their lives and adjust their footing as the ball gains momentum. As a result this gamemode has a simple objective; knock a player off of the beachball by bowling metal melons at their feet.

Simply have one player stand on one side of the arena with a number of metal melons, and have the other player stand on the beachball. The bowler wins if they can knock the beachball out from under their opponents feet, the balancer wins if the bowler runs out of ammo and they remain standing on the beachball.

16 Likes

Cool

Neat ideas, awesome to see more people making games out of the limited tools, but it does make me wish there were some more tools to actually make games within tower unite.

2 Likes

I agree. Personally I’d love some more general building pieces, launchers, timers that can be rigged to objects, activators, the ability to place objects that move on a preset path.

1 Like

@macdguy definitely already has a lot of this in mind, here’s what he said to me a while back when I showed him my minigame course video

"That’s really neat. I have taken note of the suggestions in the video. Our end goal with the Condo is to have I/O support. Being able to hook items up with other items with logic, basically. When this feature is ready, you could connect buttons up to doors. But, we wanted to go more than that, so we have some pretty exciting Condo I/O logic stuff still to be announced.

As for items, I do want to add teleports, teleport pads, locked doors (enter keypad to walk through them), trigger volumes (with the ability to manage jetpacks, jumping, potions, gravity, etc.), moving platforms, death traps (spikes that kill), spawn points (override default spawn point), jump pads (like the ones in lobby already), and sound emitters.

And more crazy ideas that could come up in the future: mounted guns (when weapon prediction comes out), monster spawners (things to shoot at), racing checkpoints/finish line (for RC cars), water cubes, post process override volumes (make it spooky), levers, and variables (basically an item that stores a boolean or int for I/O purposes).

Keep in mind that it will be awhile for all these things to happen. Also, I wouldn’t call all those things officially planned, but don’t be surprised if they get added at some point (because I really want them).

I/O for Condo will really allow people to create crazy things in their Condos and the items above will give them the features to do those things.

Then when Condos have multiple people able to edit them… I can definitely see Condos drastically changing. Fun fact: the snapshot system was built with these ideas in mind, so people can build their chill Condo and swap to their more… interactive Condos."

2 Likes