A new layout for the piano!

At the moment to play black keys and white keys you have to play them in quick succession because of the way it’s designed. I have been thinking that maybe instead of each row being another octave on the piano, the top row (number row) for example could be black keys and the row below it (qwerty row) could be white keys. This way it could be arranged like a real piano. I just think it could be a way to play white and black keys together so we could do awesome stuff on the piano. Instead of replacing the entire system, it could be a toggle to replace the keyboard layout for the piano. The number row and the qwerty row could be one octave, and then the asdf row and the zxcv row could be the next octave below it. This would be great!

While I agree that it would be great to be able to play some notes that are currently impossible, pls no since redoing the layout would destroy all current music sheets and cause everyone to re-learn and re-write the music. Alot of these songs are muscle memory to perfect them so re-doing the layout would cause too much harm than it helps IMO

As for the suggestion itself, I don’t use the piano the myself, so I can’t really rate it.

Ah I didn’t see the toggle part but my point still stands that all current music sheets would have to be re-written.

I mean… not really? People could still use the old layout, no rewritting required.
Also, the fact we have someone from Eta-10 on our forums scares me

If you’re changing the keys you’re changing the notes. He said he wanted the keys to match an actual piano but then u or U won’t be the same note as it was before.

Then… just switch to the old layout if you want to play a non-rewritten sheet?

My point is that almost noone will use the new layout because of the fact that there will be almost no sheet music for it. Why even bother with making a new layout when the large majority that play the piano will just stick with what they know and has resources for. I doubt any of those who make the sheet music are gonna go back and convert them over, it’s simply too much work.

I don’t think a new layout is required. We will eventually be getting MIDI support anyways, so that should solve the big problems with the current keyboard layout.

Back in the old days of GMT yore, there was a “compact” mode and an “advanced” mode. Advanced is what you see today, and compact had more of a layout as to what the OC is describing, with black keys above the white keys, and it was pretty good for just goofing around with chords, arpeggios and such in 4th octave, but it was like playing on a little toy piano. Advanced mode has just too many notes and keys for squeezing the black keys in, so switching octaves would undeniably have to happen, or just restrict to like C3-C5.

The advanced mode right now I feel can be improved somehow, but I just don’t know how.

I won’t be changing the layout of the Piano keys. I think it’s bad to have two different sheet music types. I could look into making the original compact mode from GMT.

Also, midi support is planned.

1 Like