Workshop Support (Initial Release)

Custom maps yes ladsss

2 Likes

Doesn’t say custom maps on the trello.

1 Like

Maybe not, but I’m hoping for it :wink:

Gotta port the entirety of Super Monkey ball Deluxe to ball race

1 Like

I’m a tad bit worried about steam workshop with this game. I just find the workshop annoying to have to deal with in the first place, constant downloads, missing textures annoyance. Can’t this feature wait till the game is more well rounded with its own customization

4 Likes

Couldn’t agree with that statement more,
I’d rather have in-game customization first instead of having to rely on the workshop for character customization until the in-game customization comes out.
I just really don’t think this should be so high on the priorities list…

2 Likes

l’d prefer having the workshop implemented first for several reasons. First of all, it would allow for a lot more content to be added without the devs having to spend time creating it. Said content wouldn’t be limited by copyrights, which would make it way more varied and interesting. It would also pave the way for future implementations of the workshop, like custom condo furniture.

The bottom line is, if you won’t like certain models, you’ll be able to turn them off. Or turn all of them off. Or sort them by tags or date.

4 Likes

Exactly. Having workshop support come first is MUCH better. They have already discussed parental control-like settings for it to fine tune what you see/don’t see.

[ul][li]A new checklist named “Phase 4” has been added to the card.[/li][li]A new checklist named “Phase 3” has been added to the card.[/li][li]“SDK: Physics generation” has been checked off on the “Before Any Phase” checklist.[/li][li]“SDK: Normal support” has been checked off on the “Before Any Phase” checklist.[/li][li]“SDK: Texture support” has been checked off on the “Before Any Phase” checklist.[/li][li]“SDK: Loading in FBX/OBJ via custom tool” has been checked off on the “Before Any Phase” checklist.[/li][/ul]

4 Likes

I can understand what you are saying but, that will be alot of custom content designed around an unfinished game. I can see a world were us the players create a bunch of custom content while its still unfinished, and the devs then feeling like they have to limit themselves in some way when they come to improving character customization, they might build it around what the community has uploaded which I think is bad (if that happens). Atleast get character design and customization 100% complete before allowing custom content for that in particular, I don’t honestly think it is complete yet at all…? If it is… then alright.

!!!Warning!!! a personal opinion: I also find the workshop annoying because of constant downloads because I’m the minority with absolute trash internet, but I still find it somewhat annoying regardless.

Its probably going to come anyways just voicing my concerns

1 Like

I’m assuming game world maps is going to be like CSGO in a way that there’s surfing and 1v1 type of maps as well as parkour, etc. But I feel that people would need to constantly update their maps or am I wrong? You could also be losing a lot of potential for official features by letting users make their own textures, models, and maps. Unless you were to take ideas granted use by the creator to use officially in updates; or is that what you wanted to do?

With the coming of workshop content for Tower unite, could you add the ability of “Custom Models” like the system from “VR Chat”, you could even set a parental control to disable custom models for the user, turning them into a “blank/basic model”?

The thing is that it’s statistically impossible for a video game developer to appease 100% of a customer base. A much more realistic goal for video game developers is to make a product that 90% of consumers enjoy.

If nine out of ten consumers for a video game think “this would be a good idea” then more than likely the consumer base for said video game would enjoy it. So while I do realize that you personally don’t like the workshop if 90% of the consumer base would like workshop support then it is from a financial standpoint a good idea for pixeltail to implement it.

@Zak Will this be a full SDK with support for (albeit basic) programming or only maps and models? From my understanding so far it is the latter.

Our initial support will be Items and Player Models.

I can’t wait to represent my favorite games of all time with some shkinns

1 Like

[ul][li]The checklist “Phase 1” has been renamed to “Player Model”.[/li][/ul]

4 Likes

[ul][li]The checklist “Before Any Phase” has been renamed to “Core”.[/li][li]“SDK: Skeletal meshes” has been checked off on the “Core” checklist.[/li][li]“Workshop integration” has been checked off on the “Core” checklist.[/li][li]“Editor SDK” has been checked off on the “Core” checklist.[/li][/ul]

5 Likes

[ul][li]“Blocking loading from specific players” has been checked off on the “Core” checklist.[/li][li]“Blocking workshop items” has been checked off on the “Core” checklist.[/li][li]“Workshop browser: Downloading” has been checked off on the “Core” checklist.[/li][li]“Workshop browser: Showing details on items (created time, creator name, etc.)” has been checked off on the “Core” checklist.[/li][li]“Workshop browser: Voting” has been checked off on the “Core” checklist.[/li][li]“Workshop browser: Favoriting” has been checked off on the “Core” checklist.[/li][li]“Workshop browser: Sorting searches” has been checked off on the “Core” checklist.[/li][li]“Workshop browser: Searching by types/tags” has been checked off on the “Core” checklist.[/li][li]“Workshop browser: Searching” has been checked off on the “Core” checklist.[/li][li]“Workshop browser” has been checked off on the “Core” checklist.[/li][/ul]

5 Likes

[ul][li]“Item: Being able to edit workshop inventory item and set the workshop item (just like a canvas)” has been checked off on the “Items” checklist.[/li][li]“Item: Physics-enabled workshop inventory item” has been checked off on the “Items” checklist.[/li][li]“Item: Inventory item that loads workshop items (basically like a canvas, but it loads workshop models)” has been checked off on the “Items” checklist.[/li][li]“Player Model: See what other players are wearing from the scoreboard” has been checked off on the “Player Model” checklist.[/li][li]“Player Model: Replicating (networking) what other players are wearing and downloading it on the fly” has been checked off on the “Player Model” checklist.[/li][li]“Player Model: Loading and setting on the character” has been checked off on the “Player Model” checklist.[/li][li]“Player Model: Creating skeletal mesh” has been checked off on the “Player Model” checklist.[/li][li]“Workshop uploader” has been checked off on the “Core” checklist.[/li][li]“Workshop browser: Context-based opening (open browser to see only items, or to see only player models)” has been checked off on the “Core” checklist.[/li][/ul]

5 Likes