Winter (non-christmas) plaza for winter season, please?

(a little entry for those who're interested)

Since long time ago, as I’ve been playing game of my childhood (kind of like Club Penguin but with other characters, and it wasn’t snowy all the time) it was flattering to me heart to see all the locations getting snowy, although not having Christmas decorations during all the winter, it just felt nice to see the game having same seasonal look as the real life (as snow is a pretty big part of it) and i loved it.

So I was really excited when Christmas event came to the Plaza, and it feels so strange that it’s already going to leave and bring the summer plaza back despite the calendar still showing January.
My idea is that it would be really nice if Plaza could have “winter” looks without Christmas decorations, keeping it since the start of the winter till the spring.
Thanks for your attention!

This is not a good idea from a technical point of view. Implementing this will be difficult, and most people will be against this addition. It is possible that the developers can add some easy-to-implement things that do not require much detail and effort. But this idea will most likely be postponed last in the list of possible additions, since a bunch of things still need to be done, and this will probably remain just a dream.

1 Like

Could you explain why do you think so? As far as I can understand, it would require devs to remove christmas decorations like candies, christmas lights and etc. while leaving the snow there. Sure, it’s not something which could be done by a snap of fingers, but at least it’s also not something requiring lots of additional work. Of course, this is just my point of view; devs can put clearer point in explaining this detail, and you are also welcome to explain yours.

Well, I can’t answer anything but to ask you if you could extend this point as well. I myself am up for this (obviously), so I’d need to gather some opinions to understand better why people (like you, for example) may not like it the way I do.

5 Likes

I was just thinking about this yesterday when I read the devlog. I would love this.

2 Likes

There’s actually a system in the game that is specifically designed to make this easy

4 Likes

This was actually a thing various times in the past, even as recent as November 2019.

Lobby 2 also had both an Autumn variant & Summer variant but they stopped returning at some point as well.

Presumably as the Plaza continues to change & grow the devs have to redo/update the seasonal variants to accommodate the changes, likely taking up time which artists & mappers could better spend elsewhere on less passive developments.

But I wouldn’t be surprised if once the Plaza design stabilises we see the seasonal variants return on a more consistent schedule. (fingers crossed)

6 Likes

omg I even had a dream tonight about TU actually adding winter plaza now, being surprised but happy, then somewhen during the day realizing it wasn’t real т.т
#pleaseGiveUsWinterPlazaPixeltail (at least in the next year)

Sorry I’m late to replying to this.

We have a plain “winter” plaza implemented in code, and it can be toggled on easily. The issue is that we found we had a lot of complaints about people getting sick of the winter plaza. Virtual world games like this one can be form of escapism, and when you’re surrounded by snow everywhere you go in real life, there is a desire for many people to escape to an island paradise, rather than going into the game and seeing more bleak winter tundra.

I’m open to it still, and it would be easy to implement. I’m just not convinced that a majority of the player base wants this.

3 Likes

A counter-argument could be made for the players who rarely get snow on their location.

4 Likes

omg o.o
well, i’ve never thought i’d hear that point of view, wow
I’ve never thought people would not like a winter itself… snow has always been making me happy
And well, I guess plaza can still feel like a paradise island… just with snow т.т

But I guess that the right choice would be to just make some sort of a public voting for that kind of thing.
Winter in virtual worlds has always meant plenty lots to me personally, but if the majority thinks otherwise then it’s about giving them what they want

1 Like

let me escape florida plz

3 Likes