What is your opinion on the 'Augment your pre-order' scheme for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided?

Square Enix just announced the pre order scheme for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and I am curious to know what your opinion on it are as personally I have never seen this sort of scheme take place before. You can view the introduction for it below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJkzcQDqbpE

Personally, this is one of the worst pre order schemes I have ever seen for a game, the sheer fact that you only receive one reward per tier and technically will not receive a full package on launch is crazy. In addition, the fact that rewards are hidden behind a ‘predetermined’ number of pre orders just denies people content that is technically already made if these goals were not reached.

That is my opinion, sorry if it was a bit ranty.

What is your opinion :smiley:

4 Likes

This is petty, it will go down very bad with many critics and honestly it’s so stupid. I know companies have to meet pre-order goals but the way the advertised it in that trailer with the robotic sounding woman where the just plain said ‘We need your money to reach goals, the more money you give, the more stuff you get’. It’s almost like stretch goals for a kickstarter campaign but it’s a Triple A game with a relatively good past so I’m scared to see how this will affect the future of the series. Maybe I’m making a big deal out of this, but in my eyes, it’s outrageous.

1 Like

Pre-ordering anything is a no-go for me.

That being said, this is certainly one of the worst designs I’ve ever seen. There goes another franchise :\

Seriously though, there isn’t a whole lot I can say that hasn’t already been said. I just hope people stop falling for this garbage soon.

Didn’t this happen with some other game recently? Just Cause 3?

Why didn’t anyone get all fussed up over that?

I haven’t heard of this happening with anything other than some XCOM game or something.

Wow. This is just… Wow. I seriously hope this doesn’t catch on. How much do you guys wanna bet that this game will be just as bad as Arkham Knight on day 1? This is probably why they are doing this, so they can guarantee they’ll get sales on a broken game. I know, I’m probably being too paranoid.

I’m pretty sure Steam opens up refunds if a game is notoriously bad, as they did with Arkham Knight.
Not to mention they already have a pretty decent refund policy, which is great for encouraging game developers to not be idiots.

1 Like

Yes, but the game is most likely going to be released on Xbone and PS4 too. They probably won’t do refunds.