What is your go to book?

Hey I been thinking of read some books and wanted to know which book you guys like and why you enjoy them?

I’m a huge science fiction and fantasy buff, and within those genres I typically stick to Star Wars or Warcraft related titles.

If you’re good with either of those universes, the Darth Bane series are my favorite Star Wars (and overall) novels, and Arthas is a great Warcraft book.

The Halo novels are also great. Anything by Drew Karpyshyn or Christie Golden.

Ender’s Game is definitely a good one. I thoroughly enjoyed the overall pacing and it’s one of those books that will make you think. To Kill a Mockingbird was another all-time favorite of mine; it was just brilliantly written for what would seem like a boring event on the surface.

My current all-time favorite book has to go to 1984. While terribly depressing, this book was one that I could not put down. It really made me think about a lot of things. Another book along the same sort of dystopian vain is Brave New World, which was another one I couldn’t stop reading. It was too well written; the end nearly made me cry.

On a less serious note, Dave Barry Slept Here: A Sort-of History of the United States was just funny, especially if you have a basic understanding of the United States’ real history.

All of the above are great reads, and I would highly recommend them (except maybe the Dave Barry one, since it isn’t doesn’t really make you think about anything). One last book I personally enjoyed but most of my classmates did not was Old Man and the Sea. I don’t know why, but it was just enjoyable, almost peaceful in a way.

Yo Dune is pretty good if you can get through the first 3 chapters without killing yourself

God I love it.

One book that I really love is some kind of frankenbook called “Tales, Speeches, Essays and Sketches by Mark Twain”. It’s not really a novel, but just a collection of a ton of loose stuff that Mark had laying around and may or may not have published. Inside are a couple of little stories or speeches that I really love. You can find these online with a simple google search:

• Corn-Pone opinions
  • An Encounter with an Interviewer
  • The Man that Corrupted Hadleyburg
  • The Story of the Good Little Boy who Did Not Prosper
  • The Story of the Bad Little Boy who Did Not Come to Grief
  • Trapped: A book about kids who get trapped (heh) in a high school during a record-breaking snowstorm. Very good book with a real sense of danger.

• The Seer of Shadows: The only horror/thriller I’ll ever read. Set in the 18th century, a photographer’s apprentice becomes wrapped up in a murder conspiracy when his photographs start bringing a dead spirit back to life. Legitimately unsettling.

• The Shack: Don’t let the religious story fool you, this book personifies God as a black woman, Jesus as an Asian carpenter, and the holy spirit as a beautiful, radiant woman. The story follows a man who lost his daughter to a serial killer, and he spends a weekend with God in order to regain his faith. A challenging read.

• Fallout: Equestria: Before you hate me, hear me out. This fanfiction is not only one of the longest fanfictions with some respectable amount of quality ever, it also got physical print copies. Twice. This story takes the happy, innocent world of Equestria and twists it with the world of Fallout. This book is not fun, or happy. It’s dark. It’s depressing. It’s the only book that brought me to tears. It’s violent. It pays homage to every Fallout game, even Tactics and Van Buren, expertly. Even if you don’t like MLP, read it for the Fallout content.

The “Dragonsinger” series was a book I really enjoyed reading. I don’t read much so that sort of says something.

Ranger’s Apprentice. Loved it to death, what spun my inspiration to start using a bow. I have read all the books three times, but that may just because the first thing I do when im out of things to do is pull out my Kindle app.

20,000 leagues under the sea, It’s a little long and slow to start, but it’s still one of my favorites, Anything by Jules Verne or H.Q. Wells are good in my opinion

I don’t normally read, but I’m trying to get into it, and I started with Animal Farm, by George Orwell. Loved it. Then, I tried to read 1984. It was way to heavy for me, I didn’t even finish chapter 1. Right now I’m reading The Great Gatsby, and I love it so far.
If I had to say my go to book, it would be Animal Farm. It’s a great story, and I :heart: the ending.

1 Like

I would definitely give 1984 another try if you get the chance, it’s really slow to start, but once it gets going it’s a really good book.

My favorite book series ever is Maximum Ride by James Patterson. It’s about kids being infused with bird DNA. Also check out the predecessor (not within the same storyline though)“When the Wind Blows” by the same author. Both are really good.

I would definitely recommend the harry potter books, even though you may of already read then. I would also say Lord of the Rings trilogy of books is great too and I always find reading them enjoyable even though I’ve read them a few times before.

The Rushed series is amazing. If you’re a fan of Stephen King, dark fantasy, urban fantasy, or horror, definitely check it out. I’ve only read the first book in the series so far but it was an amazing read. Part-Twilight Zone, part-Stephen King, styled like a dark urban fantasy. It’s so great. First book in the series is free on Kindle.

Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse, as a member of any faith I feel this book leaves a profound impact on those who read it.

Percy Jackson: Any of them. They’re incredible and I love them to death.

“Carpe Diem” written by Robert Fabian
EDIT: Oh and Decameron