Weekly Dev Log for September 4th, 2018

Weekly Dev Log for September 4th, 2018

Hello everyone, and welcome to the Weekly Dev Log for the week of September 4th, 2018. Here’s what the dev team was up to this week! Note: Devs that don’t appear in the weekly log are not necessarily away or not doing work, but may be working on things currently not announced or backend work that doesn’t need to be detailed.

Dev Stream

We conducted a Developer Livestream on Friday showing off our progress on the 0.6.0.0 update, which includes Global Chat, Workshop Support, Player Reporting, Matchmaking, Emotes, New Items, and some sneak peaks at the Arcade.

Featuring: @Caboose700 @Johanna @macdguy @Will and Rob

Wrap It Up

That about covers everything that happened this week at PixelTail Games. See you all next Monday!

11 Likes

now that i think about it… did Rob aka Sketch speak at any point in the stream?
im pretty sure he is just a robot (see rob is short for robot) and he hasn’t had a voice model added yet,
he seems like a cool robot though, keep up the good work sketch

Does Rob like to yell?

d a v e

Im honestly getting kind of lost on where the end goal of TU is going, with out joining the lobby to join games and being able to shop from your condo just feels like an antithesis of the over all experience. I guess I just feel that the lobby is starting to have less purpose and is kinda just becoming a novelty.

Don’t get me wrong I still love this game though.

4 Likes

Although I do think the lobby is becoming less of a crucial game component, I think the changes are good overall. The lobby still has a multitude of games you can (and will be able to in the future) access and have fun in, not to mention the planned future projects such as the ocean expansion. Anyways, in the specific case of the gameworlds you could already join games from the menu, this just offers a place for people to actually discuss and choose in a physical space. I never saw more than maybe 2 or 3 other people in the gameworld ports as it was, so I definitely think this is a welcome change.
The lobby seems to be moving away from the “spotlight” in some cases, but that’s not exactly a bad thing imo.

3 Likes

Once more redemption/unit based activities like the arcade, minigames, bumper cars and fishing are added people will have more incentive to join lobbies.

Though I’ve always had this idea that the lobby should be the first thing you see in the game, with the player connecting to any of the available lobbies as the game starts up. The main menu would be accessible but you’d press the escape key to bring it up once you were in the game. Unfortunately that would be an issue right now because of how long it takes a lot of people to join the Lobby.

2 Likes

Honestly joining the game servers from the main menu is the only thing that super annoys the hell out of me, it’s like buying a ps4 or xbone and only ever watching netflix on it. Theres just so much potential.

2 Likes