Weekly Dev Log for May 18th, 2018
Hello everyone, and welcome to the Weekly Dev Log for the week of May 18th, 2018. If you haven’t heard, we’ve recently retired our old Daily Dev Log in favor of the Weekly Dev Log, which will allow us to give a broader picture and explain things in plain English, while also including some photos from development. Without further ado, let’s get started.
Changes since the Stream
There have been many changes to Zombie Massacre since we showed it off on the last developer livestream. We’ve compiled a little list detailing each of the changes.
- A maximum player count of six players was decided on.
- Weapon pickups are no longer grabbed automatically on touch. Pickups are now picked up by tapping the Spacebar, which will allow the player to selectively grab the weapon they want on the playing field.
- Weapon pickups will now be pulled towards the player, increasing the radius in where the player can pick up the weapon.
- The starting weapon upgrade was completed. Players can now upgrade their starting weapon. The stages are as follows: dual handguns, Uzi, and saw-offed shotgun. These weapons have unlimited ammo.
- The zombie spawn system was improved. Zombies will no longer spawn on top of players, and the spawning system was improved, for when players are spread out.
- A new weapon was added, named “Egon”.
- The character health bar color was changed to use the character class color to make it easier to know which player is which class.
- The object fade system was fixed so the camera is never blocked visually.
- Players can now zoom in and out the camera.
- Points are now awarded for reviving players.
- The Zombie Model’s skin was finished and the visuals were adjusted to make the zombies pop out more against the environment so that they are easier to see.
- The team list now displays the amount of lives each player has.
- Spectating support was added.
- Animations for the helicopter were fixed.
- The Boss AI was reworked. Bosses now have special attacks and an ultimate attack.
- The trace shoot effects were adjusted to look more like bullets are coming out of the gun instead of just a line.
- The damage of Vampires and Dogs were reduced.
- Many new sounds were added.
- Many level changes and tweaks were made.
The bosses are being reworked to have better attacks, as well as cinematic intros. We are aiming to have at least two bosses finished before release.
Sub-objectives are small optional tasks that happen per day, such as picking up supplies. They give you additional points which you can use to upgrade your stats, and help explain the story a bit.
@Wergulz has been working on two alternate skins for the Zombies, as well creating some clothing for the zombies, such as shirts and pants. @Johanna also spent some time this week creating a new texture for the Survivor’s Ramming Shield.
@Lifeless has been working on Gasoline, Trainyard, and Compound.
Other features being worked on include payouts, special item cooldowns, and possibly a new weapon.
Slaughterday Night Live
Chris continued working on the RPG-7, finishing the high poly and starting work on the base textures.
@Johanna continued working on the upcoming Kingdom map for Minigolf. This week, she created a new hole.
@Johanna continued creating some trophies for the upcoming Milestones. This week she created trophies for the Casino, Typing Derby, and Little Crusaders.
Theatre Lighting Overhaul
@Johanna worked on overhauling the lighting and some materials inside of the Plaza Theatre. These changes haven’t been moved to the Theatre Condo yet, but will soon.
@JJosh continued working on new furniture items for Tower Unite. This week, he added a Telephone Pole, Number Sign, various Lightbulbs, Illuminated Fence, Illuminated Fence Post, Fancy Handrail, and some Handrail items.
@krionikal continued working on animations, tweaking the hand rig, and started working on the animations for the fishing rod.
Wrap It Up
That about covers everything that happened this week at PixelTail Games. We’ll see you all next week, and have a great weekend!