Update 0.5.0.0 (next update)

Achievements are done, but the milestones and the EXP system is not ready. We don’t want to release achievements until milestones are ready. It’s estimated to take us another month of work to get that ready.

11 Likes

What about stats? Can you make some basic stats so when achievments launch, we can have at least some of those faster (Play ZM 100 times or so)

Stats are also part of that. We want them all to come out at once because everyone will be playing the games again and we want to make sure everything is being tracked from then on.

3 Likes

Is the achievement update next on the list after 0.5 or is something else gonna take priority for now?

1 Like

I hope that the next update can address some of the features that seemed to have been sorta “pushed away”, like the chat rewrite and some more plaza minigames.
Other than that, Zombie Massacre looks amazing so far, excited to try it out

1 Like

I wholeheartedly agree. I get very disappointed when a feature is worked on, and then is pushed back when the person (or people) working on it are called to, or decide to, invest their time into another portion of the game. I would much rather honed effort like what happened with ZM (all devs being called to work on a single significant feature) than a team who’s time is interspersed throughout features that won’t be completed until further into the future. Seeing all these cards on Trello with some small percentage of work completed (Fishing, cooking, etc.) which can’t be completed until other requirements are met, work with Valve/Steam happens, etc. is disappointing to say the least. I understand where it comes from, and that it can make the process of finishing the cards take less time in the future, I’d rather them take less time in the present. It might also lead to a more efficient work flow. Who knows.
Holy shit I ranted for a while, apologies. This has been on my mind for quite a while.

3 Likes

Achievements/milestones will be immediately next on the list.

Chat rewrite is high priority. The actual chat and global chat server backend is done. It was delayed because of staff changes and we are still working on moderation backend tools to prepare for it. It will be worked on directly after the Zombie Massacre update.

This does not happen. We don’t deviate from tasks as separate people, we do things as a group. We’re a small team, so often times we physically cannot work on multiple things. We don’t let people just decide to start and stop features - it’s a group effort and a decision is made on what gets worked on for the next months. If there’s ever a feature that gets delayed, there’s always a good reason for it.

Fishing was put aside, as we explained before, for Zombie Massacre. It’s left in the state it’s in because we physically cannot work on two things at once. Fishing is a large feature. Cooking requires a lot of art assets, which are still being made.

Doing a Game World is a major project that improves the entire game over all, so a lot of the things that we worked on for Zombie Massacre can be applied to future tasks.

With our team size right now, this is the most efficient work flow.

I understand it is a frustrating experience from the outside, but developing a game is very challenging. You run into issues or elements of the game that just take more time than you expect. Developing a game of this scope with a limited team is even more challenging. Issues come up during development that will lead to a delay on a feature, and sometimes there’s not much we can do immediately to alleviate the situation.

We also don’t want to release features to the game that simply aren’t done. Fishing for example has gone through many different prototypes and revisions and will continue to evolve until it’s up to our standard to be released.

We are hiring new people as well. We’ve recently hired a new artist, programmer, and are in the talks with another animator.

17 Likes

[ul][li]“Fixed a bug in Ballrace: Oasis which caused players to be potentially stuck in a pipe.” has been checked off on the “Bug Fixes” checklist.[/li][/ul]

6 Likes

[ul][li]“Condo - Theater: Fixed ambient sound issues” has been checked off on the “Bug Fixes” checklist.[/li][/ul]

5 Likes

[ul][li]“Minigolf - Emission: Fixed hole 9 bug where you could get stuck mid-air while the laser bridges are off” has been checked off on the “Bug Fixes” checklist.[/li][li]“Condo - Theater: Fixed a section of the lobby floor not being editable” has been checked off on the “Bug Fixes” checklist.[/li][/ul]

5 Likes

[ul][li]“Media Player: Updated browser to fix YouTube playback issues” has been checked off on the “Bug Fixes” checklist.[/li][/ul]

5 Likes

[ul][li]“Minigolf: Fixed a bug where you could not interact with the end game UI” has been checked off on the “Bug Fixes” checklist.[/li][/ul]

5 Likes

[ul][li]“Fixed a bug with all Game World scoreboards showing 11/10 rounds when it should just be 10/10 rounds” has been checked off on the “Bug Fixes” checklist.[/li][/ul]

5 Likes

[ul][li]“Virus: Fixed silencer weapon icon being dual silencers” has been checked off on the “Bug Fixes” checklist.[/li][li]“Virus: Survivors now have an outline around them so players know where they are at all times (infected players do not have this outline, but infected can see an outline of survivors as well)” has been checked off on the “Changes” checklist.[/li][li]“Virus: Updated weapon icons” has been checked off on the “Changes” checklist.[/li][li]“Virus: Updated infected player model (and animations)” has been checked off on the “Changes” checklist.[/li][li]“Virus: Removed autorifle from weapon rotation” has been checked off on the “Changes” checklist.[/li][/ul]

8 Likes

I’m glad that Virus if getting some real improvements

4 Likes

Amen. Its been a long iterative process but all the updates are really making it feel up-to-par with the quality of newer updates. I always forget it used to have a broken mini-map, H.V. suit metal hands and god awful latency. The updated weapon models make a huge difference, can’t imagine it with the new zombie models and animations.

When I first started Tower Mini-golf (besides wonky engine regression physics here and here) and Ball Race felt almost entirely complete, while Virus was extremely rough around the edges. Now its pretty much on par with them and newer features such as lazer tag and LC. This is a good show from Pixeltail giving older content the love and care to keep it up to par, kudos to them!

R.I.P. Soccer Mom Zombies doing an Eternal Morning Jog, you will not be forgotten!

3 Likes

Virus was always the one mini game besides planet panic I thought was left out as well. I hope they make it so we can see our hats and glasses in game too

I’m glad virus is finally getting some improvements. Any chance we could get a screenshot or preview of this new wip zombie model I keep seeing mentioned every weekly update?

1 Like

Guys, the radar is a thing. We already know where all the infected are, so why not spare our eyes from looking at the top-left corner of the screen all the time and give them an outline as well? Or just remove the radar outright.

Also, please add some sort of an outline to Laser Tag as well. (not the kind you can see through walls, though)

The radar doesn’t work across the entire map, though.

2 Likes