Toggle Workshop Object Shadows Per-Object

Since update 14.1 added a feature which would cause all existing workshop objects in condos to cast shadows, visiting a condo with upwards of 30-50 models would tank the FPS to gmod-sandbox-server-souce-engine-on-an-old-computer levels. (0-20fps depending on how many objects are culled based on the camera frustum)

This would have been a warmly welcomed feature if it was a new optional feature whether condo-wide from the My Condo tab or per workshop object in the object’s properties panel. This would be especially true if the option was disabled by default. Hell, maybe even an extra entry in the Performance section of the Graphics options so each client can enable/disable workshop object shadows to drastically improve performance.

Don’t get me wrong, I really like the way some of these workshop props look with shading enabled in Unreal; however, I don’t need all 100 props in my condo casting their own shadows. And I don’t even have that many compared to some other condos.

tl;dr great feature, implemented in a confusing and frankly stupid way, please give this more granular options.

This is gonna be a thing in the next update:
https://trello.com/c/xGhO3n7L/597-update-01412

3 Likes

I’m assuming by performance setting, that’s a graphics option in the settings per-client? What’s the default value going to be?

Lets keep this thread up since there are some other valuable suggestions in it.

1 Like

I’m gonna have it default off.

3 Likes

I agree with Chill on this, it should be togglable on a per-item bases if UE allows that.

2 Likes