The chat rules

Hi!

Does the dev’s have people on the chat that knows Chinese, Japanese, Russian, Dutch or Danish?

It is easy for most people (in most cases) to bypass the chat filter (splitting words)

But since you all read and understand English fully, and can easily spot a bypass on the system since it is English.
How would you work all that out for all the other nationalities?

I truly believe that if the answer is “We get reports” there might be some “false ones” coming in aswell.

Now here’s my main point…

If you SEE someone making a “over the top” comment and it gets the user banned,
would the same thing happen in the case of a nativ speaking Dutchman saying the same thing in Dutch (any language you are not fluid in)

I made the word “see” capital since its the case I need highlighted

P.s Don’t worry I will behave.

Dutch people, for example, swear with diseases. And ‘cancer’ is considered one of the worst ones. I think if there needs to be some moderation on what is not ok in different languages then there definitively needs to be some understanding for each language and culture.

This can become complex when the languages are mixed since it will be hard to determine if someone is simply bypassing the filter by saying something offensive in a different language or if they’re just talking and aren’t aware that whatever they’re saying can be seen as not ok, but context can help i guess.

I imagine Pixeltail will try to recruit community moderators with knowledge in multiple languages to deal with issues like these.

1 Like

Reporting them helps us. We do have an internal system that tries to translate chat.

1 Like

Realistic expectations. :+1:

3 Likes

I feel I might have ventured into some “bumpy roads”

Link made the points I had a lot of trouble formulating; “There definitively needs to be some understanding for each language and culture.”
In Danish, the word “cancer” is litterally said midsentence and without even thinking of it. So you could expect some cancer slipups from them.

And it’s really here its getting grayzoned a lot (I think) since each language has their own ways with humor, jokes and everyday swears, It’s cultural.
The fact that a lot of thing are getting interpreted as bad now, but was not a short while back is getting me a little nervous. (not arguing for racial slurs and that sort of thing)

It takes that one word and a different usage of it, to change the meaning/mood of it.

Example; Could the Acronym “NPC” get used so badly that it has to be bannable?
It takes context, so what if I wrote “Duerengr im Ulæk ker NP C” to a fellow?
How would you tell the joke apart from the offence when it’s in cryptic foreign languages?
By cryptic I mean, deliberately destroying the sentence to bypass your internal translation system so it can’t pick up on it.

Wouldn’t that potentially waste a big amount of resource? Finding nativ speakers to examine the message and the messages before hand for context? Specially when we are talking a global scale where bad and good people are all around.

If all of this comes out as pure nonsense, I apologize.

I’ve seen how you guys give chances in global chat. It seems fair and reasonable.

1 Like

It might just be my head spinning around.

This is where reporting comes in handy, someone notices a potentially offensive message and can report this for further examination. Of course people can abuse this by either reporting others for no good reason or because they’re offended by every single atom, but context can show that a person willingly tried to be offensive or if it was just an accident/misunderstanding.

Also, like some people like tentacle_boss pointed out in several threads, there should be some way for the players to interact with the moderators to prevent misunderstandings from the mods side. Communication between moderators and players can help players understand what not to do by simply warning them and then punishing them instead of immediately punishing them.

Like i said in the other thread, chat rules can be complex and mistakes can be made by all parties (reporting people, ‘accidentally’ offensive people and the moderators) and many steps in the process should be treated with care, since its all very controversial.

1 Like

I played a game that used community moderators to solve a lot of these issues. They had different “levels” of moderators too. The difference between them was just the level of permissions they had. The most common basic moderators could only suspend for a few hours at a time.

1 Like

I appreciate you guys taking the time!

It is a hard topic to navigate, agreed.

“someone notices a potentially offensive message” But if its in another language?
Like “Вы очень умны Link” <- That might be potentially offensive, specially towards you Link, since your name is there with all that potentially evil russian.
No one other than Link is even interested in that message, yet even less to bother reporting it, but the person who’s offended by pillows (and the message was meant in a sarcastic manner) he/she might skip all logical steps and go straight for defence mode to the point of eskalation. (Don’t we all know someone like that?)

All from simple misunderstandings.

On the point of making players moderate, that could “potentially” become scary business, from what I’ve seen in other places.

Indeed this has to be done by careful steps and hopefully it ends at a place good for everyone.

(Just glad that I only have responsibility for my own actions in this case.)

Future chat log:
10:34: جميل التحدث معك
10:34: Ты тоже
10:35: ใครสำหรับมินิกอล์ฟ?
10:35: Не сейчас мы получаем останки
10:35: Come diventare un fantasma?
10:36: You can’t its other players from other servers.
10:36: 無実はどこですか?
10:37: Ποτέ δεν κερδίζω τροχό χρημάτων
10:37: Min vän gjorde det igår tog honom 2 dagar

what if you just don’t ban/mute people with mods and stuff (which takes time and resources) and instead add a mute feature

why don’t you just give the tools for people to stop seeing what they don’t want to see (like you’ve already done) and then it’s their fault because despite having the tools to not see what they didn’t want to see, they chose to not use the tools

or am i just being fat

2 Likes

I think this is a good idea as well. Let users moderate their own experience in chat, when it comes to the smaller things, and things that slip by the existing moderation.

2 Likes

Well that’s already how it works. I can easily block any players that I don’t want to see messages for. That said, not everybody is happy with just blocking a whole bunch of people because they found chat to be particularly bad that day (or they just straight up don’t know about blocking). Proper moderation is a good thing for a massive chat like this. It should be our responsibility to report people whom we believe broke rules. Blocking can be done to anyone that I don’t want to see, regardless of if they’re technically following rules or not.

hueh yeah i have blocked so many people

Lol no, I just wanna sit down and fuck around & have a laugh with people. It shouldn’t be the responsibility of the community to do anything about rule breakers. A report feature sure, but not a responsibility. It’s a game, not a job. When I get home from work I don’t want to work more, I just wanna mess around

I don’t get it. Maybe I’m missing your point?

Perhaps responsibility was the wrong choice of wording there. In any case, my point is: If you see someone that you feel needs to be blocked because they’re spamming or posting offensive messages, you might as well report them so that others don’t have to see it either.

It doesn’t exactly take more effort to do so than simply blocking it on your end, and it benefits the community as a whole. If you personally don’t care and just wanna mess around, you don’t need to report messages like my first post may have implied.

Sorry for the misunderstanding!

2 Likes