Remove Mini Golf host's advantage

title. it seems wildly unfair that people who join in late on minigolf get their scores adjusted so they are 2-4 swings above par on almost every hole missed, as this will almost always set you up for failure. it completely removes the incentive to join on a minigolf game more than 3-4 rounds in if you know you’re being set up to lose. why does this even exist?

pic included: everyone joined late and we all got set up for failure. you can see who joined latest by who has the most total points above par.

one guy joined pretty late in the game, and he got above par on literally every single hole in the first half, so he was in dead last, even below the poor sap who got 15 points on one damn hole, and he wasn’t doing half bad in the second half.

i understand that minigolf isn’t made to be purely competitive but when you take away the incentive to win, the only incentive to play is money, which is already diminished if you join later.

TL;DR fix the scores for people who join late.

We fill in the scores because they didn’t play the hole. You can’t put the par, because they didn’t get that and it’s not fair to players who didn’t get par. You can’t put nothing, because then the score will be incorrect.

6 Likes

at least make it so it adds 1 stroke above par instead of having an extra 2-5 strokes added per hole, because stomping on someones score that hard seems a bit overkill.

here’s the raw image of the scoreboard, and it shows that the ‘late score’ that was given for the first half was 3 away from the par for the whole COURSE. both ensuring that it’s literally impossible for him to get even close to the par, and takes all the fun of attempting to beat someone else.

the only players that would benefit from this “fairness” is the people who score 15 points on every hole.

Mac’s right. It gives you triple bogey for every hole you missed and for good reason. Think about it this way. Let’s say it were to give you par on every hole you missed. Everyone is having a pretty crap game and all are considerably over par. The person in the lead is 4 over par. Now, someone joins on the last hole and is automatically put in first place because he is exactly on par going into the last hole. The late joiner could now win the whole game by playing one hole and getting a triple bogey. Does that anymore fair to you?

It’s plenty easy to do good as a late joiner. I’ve placed top 3 quite a few times, having joined in the back 9. And I’m not overly good. It’s fair from impossible and should definitely stay how it is.

4 Likes

Another solution could be leaving it the way it is, but tagging their scores (maybe a little star icon and you can hover over that to see that it was a late score) and the final total would be tagged as well with a tooltip saying what it would be with the late scores removed.

That way people know what holes they didn’t get to play and can decide on their own head cannon on who did the best.

1 Like

I don’t think that’s such a problem that it needs the developers to work on it.

My first answer is: It’s a frickin’ videogame! Just play!

Who gives a crap about having the highest score?! Minigolf ain’t a race!

Also you get paid no matter the score, so I don’t really see the point of this.

“Oh, I joined late and now I’m in last place”, so?,either next time you join on time, or you just stop caring about it.

I usually play to get paid or just to enjoy the map, never cared for scores.

6 Likes

As long as there’s no reward for placing in the top 3, there’s no need to change anything because there’s no real incentive. There’s also the fact that someone could be having a very bad game so they decide to leave then rejoin to give themselves a better score than they had before. It also shows how many holes have been played when you search for a game so why not just join one that has just started or host your own? BTW your title doesn’t fit the topic as it isn’t a host advantage, it’s an advantage for the people that were there from the start, and rightly so.

3 Likes

Dear god I feel bad for your eyes playing the game that downscaled.

1 Like

Maybe it could be so each is 1 more than the person in last place?

edit: I was viewing this in the golf category, I thought it was a recent post. Sorry for the necro :(((

1 Like

You’re fine. At least you’re contributing to the topic. Nothing wrong with necroing, as long as you’re contributing.

1 Like

Necroing a thread is completely allowed so long as you’re adding something to the topic and not just saying stuff like “bump”

And onto your comment, I feel this would be a good fix. It gives the player an opportunity to comeback whilst also making it so even the player in last place will still have a chance over the joining player. Whilst this doesn’t entirely remove the issue of the incentive (or lack thereof) of joining late I feel that this gives joining players a fighting chance.

Perhaps there could be a units bonus for joining late, as well? Like a multiplier for the units you make, that starts at 1.00% for easy, 1.25% and 1.50% for the corresponding difficulties and increases to a maximum of double the starting difficulty, depending on how late you join in. Put it this way:

I join into a game of Medium difficulty Minigolf. Normally, the unit bonus would be at 1.25%.

But I’m joining into the match halfway through, so to help balance things, it increases the multiplier to 1.88%, the halfway point between the minimum 1.25% and the maximum 2.50%.

Look at it like you’re multiplying a multiplier, to fit how late into the game you join in.

Whilst this math obviously wouldn’t lead to the same payout as the other players, it at least garnishes the payouts towards something more manageable, so that way you can still make some OK money if you join late.

I’m terrible at explaining things so I hope I’m not the only one able to understand what I mean, and I’m also god-awful at math, so I don’t think I can think up anything besides a halfway point between two values, or else I would’ve gone more in-depth with my explanation.

While this solution seems good, I have no clue how it would actually play out, and how difficult it would be to implement.

I also spent like 30 minutes writing this pile of hot garbage :confused:

2 Likes