PSA For Those Afraid To Like Posts

I think we clearly are on the same page with the “Like the content, not the people” thing. :wink:

A forum helping TU grow the best it can, a friendly and welcoming community having fun and discussions leading to rational conclusions with everyone respectfully arguing according to the forum rules? At least that’s my goal here.

You mentioned the worst case scenario in your opinion would be not to get a like in return which is the Like4Like mentality. I mentioned my worst case scenario is nothing happening (and that the way I phrased this would sound depressing in my opinion), meaning the author of the liked post doesn’t appreciate it, the forum software cannot use the like to determine post quality, generally no one cares about the like given, it’s just an entry in a database, in short: Nothing happens.

So when you’re asking me if it would be painful for me to like without being liked back, that applies to the scenario you mentioned as the worst that could happen, not mine.

It might be the summer heat but for some reason in your statements that are not protesting the idea you’d support Like4Like or agreeing with me on how Like-Buddies are a problem, you sometimes sound like someone should expect something to magically happen in return for likes. Likes should only go in one direction and when everyone contributes with good posts, everyone can be on the beneficiary side.

IIRC that fact was the idea that people tend to like people they’re liked by? So you were trying to point out how this natural impulse is counterproductive for the like-system in a way I completely misinterpreted?

That’s the reason we both take about an hour to write one of these posts, isn’t it? :wink:

When you go into detail and really flesh each side of the argument out, discussions go big. And when everyone stays on track and no one starts insulting so the mods close the thread, rational conclusions are found. I’m really happy when that happens.

But sometimes something like this happens, just to name one example:

A great exchange about what an SJW is, what it stands for and how much sense it makes. Until people cry for the thread to die ironically being the sole reason the thread has to be closed.

1 Like